• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

If a defendant tells an outright lie in their submissions to court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R0b thank you.

Comment

Still a bit confused. I found this online:

"What Does ‘Without Prejudice Save as to Costs’ Mean?

Another commonly used term is ‘without prejudice save as to costs’. This term means that the protection only applies in court until the court hands down a judgment. After the court makes a judgment, it decides how to award costs. Typically, the unsuccessful party must pay the other party’s legal costs, and the court may use communications marked ‘without prejudice save as to costs’ to determine exactly what those costs should be.

The court will consider whether the parties made any attempts to reach a settlement before going to court. This means that ‘without prejudice save as to costs’ can apply pressure on the other side during negotiations. The court may use any unreasonable actions during the settlement communications to determine how much they pay in costs."

My read of this is that, if I can demonstrate that the defendant was offered a certain amount to settle, but turned this down, before three months later, the day before submissions are due, offering to settle for this amount - does that not make them liable for all the wasted time and energy expended in those three months?

Or does it, at the very least, mean they can hardly claim their costs if I am unsuccessful?

Comment

And that is the problem with reading things online, it doesn't give you the true context of things, especially in your case.

Cases that are allocated to the small claims track disapply the majority of the rules on costs other than those I previously listed and a few others. I get the feeling you don't want to believe what I am saying and that's entirely your choice, so I won't say any more on the point but I do recommend you do some reading on the case Dammermann v Lanyon Bowdler LLP [2017] EWCA Civ 269, particularly about the court's comments on what is considered unreasonable conduct.

There is no harm in you arguing what you want to say, I am just not convinced the court will agree.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Without Prejudice save as to Costs - see post #19 in the following thread: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...75#post1640675

Maybe we need a glossary.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If I agree to settle the claim for the amount offered, can I then start a new claim alleging the fraud that occurred and seeking the difference I feel I am owed?

Comment

Nice try. No.

Any new claim would be liable to be struck out as an abuse of the court process, with you being ordered to pay the defendant's legal costs.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X