• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confused - help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused - help needed

Morning all,

I'm new to the forum having spent the best part of the night googling, and as I'm pretty stumped I felt it best to start a post for some input / thoughts.

For some context, I work away once a fortnight for four days. Today was my first day away. My wife had called me just around 6.30ish to say a man had knocked on our door asking for me. He had an A4 sized letter with him, with my name handwritten to the front (full name).

As I wasn't in, he asked when I'd be back and at what time so he could give me this hand delivery.

Now, this is all we have but inevitably it's got us both concerned (we do overthink sometimes!).

I haven't received any letters leading up to this to advise of any potential litigation, I've never missed a payment on our household bills and we don't have any unpaid outstanding debts. Equally, I've not been involved in any matters relating to the courts / law / police and our TV licence is paid.

There are potentially three things I thought it may be but there are equally reasons why it can't be:

- We instigated a claim for professional negligence (no win no fee) relating to the purchase of our property and a leasehold. In 2022, our solicitor advised that the insurer would no longer pay for the claim and we were told to effectively close it and no longer pursue, so we did. Cut to six months after, we were advised that the insurer wasn't responding and the defendants costs (circa £20k) we're being requested. Our solicitor called me and said it'd be fine and they'll protect our position and it should be resolved. We haven't heard a peep either way since. Could it be this? I'd have thought we would be aware of this coming to us via our solicitor, but also the claim is in both our names so wondering why just mine is on the letter?

- We've recent purchased our lease for our property and are awaiting the final letter and land registry documents from our solicitor. Could it be this? Again, it's in both our names though and we were told the update to the land registry can take up to 12 months and it's only been 8 weeks since completion.

- I received a parking fine from a private company recently which I appealed. I received an email from the business then confirming the appeal and that no further action would be taken. Could it be this? I was thinking an administrative error might've occurred, but also it's such a small fine surely it's not cost effective to pursue it this way?

Ultimately, it might not be anything untoward but my googling tells me it's likely to be a court-related matter and I'm actually stumped as to why.

Apologies for the lengthy post and the vagueness - that's all I have to go off right now. The deliverer told my wife he'd be back Friday tea time (when I'm back) so I guess we'll find out then but I'd be keen to hear people's thoughts based on the above and any experiences you may have had similarly.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

My thought is I'd open the door on the chain and get their I.D. Then I'd tell them to leave a message under the door/in the letterbox. And then shut the door. If someone is that desperate to hand me documents I don't want them.

Better still, I'd get someone else to answer the door and ask questions. That way you avoid having anything handed to you. Don't forget you can deny anyone's right of acces to your property simply by telling them to get lost and never come back.

Comment

My wife said that the man was friendly enough, and didn't get any "enforcement" vibes from him but I suppose he's just delivering. I read that there's something called a sub-serve if it is a court thing, so again wondering why he didn't just hand it to her in my absence?

The wait until Friday is going to be difficult, was awake at 3am this morning with palpations - ridiculous really when I've no idea what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Mancdude View Post
        The wait until Friday is going to be difficult, was awake at 3am this morning with palpations - ridiculous really when I've no idea what it is!
        The unknown can be quite scary! I'd be the same, to be honest.

Most people, me included, will not be satisfied with not knowing what's going on. So they'll answer the door. But you could just not answer the door. I do it all the time when TV Licensing come round. Or you could speak at or through the window. Or through the letterbox. No reason whatsoever to be polite or accommodating.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X