• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Airport complaint and confidentiality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport complaint and confidentiality

Hi All,

Due to a disability I was having problems getting around a major UK airport. This lead to a very abusive encounter with a member of staff. Due to the location its guaranteed that the counter would have both audio and video. I informed the member of staff I would be complaining. I then had to submit the complaint twice as it wasn't getting a reply. I then yesterday got a reply, saying how sorry they are etc etc. But they included this clause:

"Unfortunately due to reasons of confidentiality we will not be able to disclose details of any internal investigation, however I would like to assure you that we take all such complaints extremely seriously, and where any misconduct is identified - especially of a discriminatory nature - we take a zero tolerance approach."

Is this correct? Surely, if you submit a complaint regarding a member of staff being abusive you have a right to know the outcome?

Your thoughts would be appreciated
    Tags: None

It's the standard response from employers. Any employee is entitled to confidentiality so the employer is correct to refuse to disclose details about any disciplinary sanction imposed on an employee. You are not entitled to know what it was.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm more understanding of not knowing the sanction. But surely I have a right to know if the complaint was upheld?

Comment

Originally posted by alexT123 View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I'm more understanding of not knowing the sanction. But surely I have a right to know if the complaint was upheld?
        Absolutely not. You and I are some Joe Bloggs off the street so you have absolutely no legal right whatsoever to know what action the company takes against their employees and/or the outcome (if any). That is an employer-employee matter and there are laws protecting the confidentiality and privacy of those employees. Those protections extend to other employees of the company as it would be strictly on a need to know basis.

It would be absurd if any old individual can demand to know the outcome of what action an employer may have taken in response to a complaint made by a customer or third party. It would run roughshod over the existing laws.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of what that employer is offering you, be it an apology or a sum of compensation, then consider taking legal action if you have a legal basis for doing so.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm shocked. I have no trust that this complaint will be dealt with. I've already had to submit the complaint twice because I wasn't hearing back. I'd think I do have a right to at least know the complaint was dealt with. At this very moment it wouldn't surprise me if nothing at all was done. Literally all they have offered is to investigate. However, I don't want compensation, I don't want anything other than the knowledge than this was dealt with and won't happen to anyone else. Can the outcome not be submitted to an independent third party? Surely, there is some middle ground here? Because at the moment its makes mockery of my right to not be abused by a member of staff because I was having problems related to my disability.

Edit: Just to clarify I did say they'd apologised but it wasn't an apology for anything. It was sorry to hear this might have happened. It wasn't an actual apology because nothing has been investigated yet.
          Last edited by alexT123; 21st July 2023, 16:10:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X