• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Change of name. When do I change it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of name. When do I change it?

Hi, I have been looking through Google at the prospect of changing my name. Some say if you have a criminal record you do not need to inform the police, others state that you do.

Here is my situation and background. I Had a really, really, really bad divorce. I got custody of the children. That was many years ago. But, all the time the ex wife and family never ever, gave up on getting "revenge". I was physically attacked several times and on one occasion was hospitalised and nearly lost my life. Aggravation in one form or another from them, is a constant situation. After the kids grew up and left home I found a nice family hotel abroad, and holidayed there whenever I could. I genuinely felt safer there than in the uk and was away from all the constant aggravation. Amongst other disabilities, have severe mental health issues and I take antipsychotic medication. Now I have just had a interview under caution from the DWP about benefit fraud. In the next few weeks a decision will be made as to whether I will be subject to a civil penalty or prosecution through the courts. For years I would go on holiday, but on occasions I stayed too long. My disabilty benefit allowed me to stay for up to 91 days. My ESA only 28 days. I never ever realised this. I do take a lot of medication. Hence the overpayment for failing to inform a change of circumstances.

If I have to go through the court system, apart from the extreme embarrasment and mental health issues it will cause me, it will only embolden the ex wife and family to be more aggressive and to "up the ante" so to speak, and they would plaster it all over Facebook, the internet etc, and they would never stop doing it. Believe me! They are the family from hell!

I do have a criminal record. Last time I was in trouble was about 28 years ago.
    So, this is the reason I am thinking of changing my name, so they will not know it is me when it gets printed in the " In court today" section of the local newspaper, if I have to go to court.
    But, when do I change my name?

If I do it now, it might cause me problems with the DWP as a decision has not yet been made, and they may wonder why I am doing it, and it may prolong or effect there decision.
    Do I change my name after the decision by DWP, or before?
    Will the police and courts accept and use my new name in court proceedings?
    So many variables.

It may be that I get a civil penalty and therefore I would not need to change my name.
    But if I wait, and the decision is one of prosecution, and I then decide to change my name, would it be to late? Would the courts and police decide to use my old name?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am thinking that if it is done by a solicitor, it would be more official, and that if I had a problem with the courts or police deciding not to use my new name in court proceedings, then the solicitors could act for me in relation to that.
    If that situation did occur, I accept that I would have to pay additionally for extra services.

So, my change of name not so straight forward I think.
    I do intend to keep my new name by the way.

All advice and recommended solicitors warmly welcomed.
    Last edited by ULA; 19th April 2023, 09:09:AM. Reason: Edit as requested by OP
    Tags: None

The whole situation needs to be managed, preferably at the onset of the fraud allegations (especially because of the history - acrimonious divorce, your personal circumstances etc). You clearly aren't in a position to deal with the matter yourself, see if you can get a Pro Bono help in the matter, solicitor, welfare advisor etc. You have some mitigation that has to be put forward clearly to the DWP.

Also posting defamatory stuff by your ex and her family, can land them in trouble.

Comment

I need to edit my post. How can I do this. There is no option to do so. I am on my mobile. Is Pc better? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2023 View Post
        I need to edit my post. How can I do this. There is no option to do so. I am on my mobile. Is Pc better? Thanks
        PC is better, there should be a edit function on the blue border, but there is nothing to identify you.

Comment

The edit function disappears an hour or so after making a post.

Comment

Initial post edited at request of OP to admin.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
            If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X