• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Notes in cout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes in cout

As someone who has cheese for a brain
    is it actually allowed for someone to bring into the court their own personal notes they can refer to them before answering questions?

I am assuming the answer is a big fat no.... but how do you remember dates etc if your brain won't play ball when needed.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Green monkey View Post
    As someone who has cheese for a brain
    is it actually allowed for someone to bring into the court their own personal notes they can refer to them before answering questions?

I am assuming the answer is a big fat no.... but how do you remember dates etc if your brain won't play ball when needed.
    You should absolutely, makes notes, that's part of preparation for the Hearing.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/la...laims-hearing/

Comment

Can you actually have these notes in front of you and refer to them if you are a witness?
      I have sadly been a witness in a appeal hearing which was refused partly for me getting dates mixed up.
      I am beyond beside my self with guilt

Comment

I should maybe point out it was an immigration appeal if that makes any difference

Comment

Can you actually have these notes in front of you and refer to them if you are a witness?
          I have sadly been a witness in a appeal hearing which was refused partly for me getting dates mixed up.
          I am beyond beside my self with guilt
          https://www.bholegal.co.uk/what-is-i...%20be%20needed.

'You cannot take your own notes, annotated statements or any other papers into the witness box. If you want to do this, you need to speak with your lawyer about it as permission from the judge will be needed.'

Comment

Did a solicitor represent the person who was appealing a decision?

You really need to give the full details of the situation.

Comment

Yes he had a solicitor

Comment

Yes he had a solicitor
                The solicitor needs to tell you if there are grounds to Appeal further.

Here's some information - https://righttoremain.org.uk/toolkit/appeals/ - (posted link for information)

Comment

My partner is from Zambia we have know each for about 8 years we have lived together for about 5 years.
                  He has family in the UK sisters grandparents etc.
                  He applied for leave to remain some years back.. can't remember the date... he was refused. He never reported back to immigration.
                  In the meantime we met became friends then formed a relationship. Then he was stopped by by police for a random thing which resulted in them checking him out to find he was not legal in the UK... then got a solicitor who advised him to appeal his first case but change the reason to stay in the UK as he now has a partner and his situation had changed.
                  one of the reasons out lined was that he helps me...
                  I have suffered long term depression due to events some years ago. This stops me going out on my own and lack of motivation in general for living.

Comment

As his main witness I was not advised to provide any proof of my illness by his solicitor although I did provide some older letters that outlined my condition but they were not current and my own idea to provide.
                    Me obviously being a completely stupid person didn't think about getting something I wasn't asked to get and was led to believe "less is more"
                    Anyway the case was refused due to lack of documentation and me getting dates confused, the other witness (sister)also cocked up to no fault of her own

Comment

The solicitor needs to tell you if there are grounds to Appeal further.

The same solicitor that appears to have done a really bad job ?

Can it be it's the solicitors fault the case was refused due to poor instructions to his client?

As far as I can tell the solicitor put statements in bundles and that was that!
                      we could have done that ourselves.
                      Is it not the responsibility of the solicitor to check everything first and point out short falls etc.

We signed our statements and adopted them in court but it turns out our statements were deeply lacking and in some cases accidently conflicting

Comment

These things are time sensitive, so you need to act quickly.

a) Find a solicitor who knows what they are doing. Use the Law Society's search engine to find one, check reviews. This is the priority as 'time' is crucial regards Appeals etc.

b) You can raise a complaint against the solicitor / the firm he works for, follow their complaints procedure. Then you can complain to the Legal Ombudsman service if the complaint isn't resolved.

Comment

Thanks for your advice

Comment

Sorry to be a pest.

What would be a likely outcome If its shown the solicitor didn't act properly ?

Comment

Sorry to be a pest.

What would be a likely outcome If its shown the solicitor didn't act properly ?
                              It depends what errors have been made by the solicitor in your case, as to what sanctions he will face or if compensation is due to you. It really is pointless speculating, especially as 'fact finding / investigation has to be undertaken'.

Look for some Immigration solicitors who can provide Pro Bono advice (free) (1/2 hour / 45 minutes). Explain fully what's happened.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X