• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims case appeal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claims case appeal

I had a hearing two hours long. Submitted a 165 page bundle, and was rushed towards the end by the Judge. Twice.

He then took the case home to consider it, saying himself there was a lot of paperwork to consider.

He handed down his judgment yesterday, and basically he has really not considered all the docs submitted, nor the finer details.

It's a ham-fisted go at it, at best.

I feel like the limitations of the two hour hearing, and being rushed, really made it difficult to make my case properly, and that I have therefore not received a fair trial.

Is there a way to appeal on this basis?

As I said, the Judge rushed me twice, and I even had to send further submissions afterwards as I realised some things were not covered.

The Judge said these were not taken into consideration.
    Tags: None

That is an awful lot of paper to go with a small claim. It does not surprise me that he will not have had chance to go through it all.

Comment

I thought the limit for a bundle was 60 pages in the small claims track. Claims under £10k can be allocated to the fast claims track if they are too complex or lengthy for the small claims track.

Did you provide an estimate of time for the hearing in the directions questionnaire?

Form N141 to appeal a decision in the small claims track. I don't know whether insufficient time to put your case is grounds for appeal.

Comment

That's what I am trying to find out.

I also made an application before the hearing with more submissions to add, but that did not get accepted. "Was filed too late," per the Judge. Most of it was stuff I accrued after Witness Statements were sent.

Comment

You could try moving your thread to "Court Claims and Issues"

Comment

Originally posted by Pezza54 View Post
            You could try moving your thread to "Court Claims and Issues"
            I will, but...how?

Comment

If you are intent on appealing the decision you need to apply for permission on Form N164 (include fee of £120?) (https://assets.publishing.service.go...9/n164-eng.pdf)

It is not possible to guess whether or not the judge made a procedural error in "rushing" you as none of us were present.
              The judge probably has a different viewpoint to you.

you cannot produce new evidence at the trial, hence your late submissions were disregarded.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

you cannot produce new evidence at the trial, hence your late submissions were disregarded.
                Dose Judge not have the right to strike out late submissions?

Comment

If you wanted to amend your defence you needed to make application for permission of the court on form N244
                  (CPR 17 might be worth a read)

It doubt it was a case of "strike out" but rather court procedures not followed so submissions ignored!

Comment

Can OP just amend what they all ready submitted so to bring up the highlights and most important facts only

Comment

Knightsaysni - This wouldn't be to do with your previous thread about a failed delivery from 2016, would it?

What date would be considered the official breach of contract date? - LegalBeagles Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Manxman View Post
                        Knightsaysni - This wouldn't be to do with your previous thread about a failed delivery from 2016, would it?

What date would be considered the official breach of contract date? - LegalBeagles Forum
                        No

Comment

Originally posted by anyman View Post
                          Can OP just amend what they all ready submitted so to bring up the highlights and most important facts only
                          not without the court's permission ..... Read CPR17 (https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...l/rules/part17)

Comment

The judgement was written afterwards and is being handed down in a hearing this Thursday.

As I understand it, I can either ask for an appeal at this hearing, or I can make an application requesting the appeal AFTER - as long as I make said application within a few weeks?

Comment

you can request permission to appeal on Thursday (which will probably be denied) and then make application after.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X