• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Police Creating a Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Creating a Problem

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place so I apologise in advance if it's in the wrong place. I'm trying to figure out a way to help my son and grandson whose dog has been stolen and, despite the police being called to the thief's door when my son tried to get his dog returned, allowed the thief to keep the dog and arrested my lad - who's a veteran. The theft was by a scorned girlfriend who told the police she was scared of him because he knocked on her door to get his dog back. Had the police allowed him to call the dog from the outside, the matter would have been over and done with. He would have had the family dog back and never knocked on the girl's door again as he's not interested in her at all. The police have my lad on police bail which they have extended although they returned his phone after days and the other party refused to hand her phone over. It also transpires that her ex husband had a restraining order against her. My son has an amicable split with his wife and sees his son on a regular basis - the dog belongs to my grandson who was brought up with it. My lad isn't interested in going through the police complaints procedure, he's more concerned about his good name, and not being able to do anything about the return of his dog because the police have told him no direct or indirect contact, which the police say is to "safeguard both parties". The thief has already broken that but my lad is still on extended police bail? Had the police allowed the return of the dog there would be no issue now at all - apart from my lad having to go for a restraining order by the sounds of things. My grandson, who's 12, has had the dog since he was two years old and is absolutely devastated. By the way, it has transpired that the scorned girlfriend was presenting herself to people - including the vets - as my son's wife, using his name although he was paying all the bills. The police have extended my son's bail till March so he feel's absolutely stuck between a rock and a hard place - reason for the extension File with CPS for harrassment (for knocking on a door to get his dog back - the dog wasn't even living with the girl, the dog was living with my son. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

As I understand it harassment needs at least 2 occasions - is there history of him going round?

Comment

Thanks for the reply Islandgirl. No, she stayed with him and he finished with her. He only went to get his dog back because she wouldn't respond to questions about the dog by phone. I understand her feelings have probably been hurt but my son has an exemplary military record, is not on drugs or booze and just wants to get on with his life - with his dog. The police initially were just going to send him on his way but then got told no bring him in. They also told him his bail had been dropped then changed their minds half an hour later. Two police forces seem to be involved but the dog still remains with her. I'm fuming, to put it mildly. My lad felt sorry for her so she was living with him and she knew the dog was my grandson's. She has absolutely no right to the dog. The police have put him - and are continuing to keep him in the position - of not being able to do anything. He can't contact her directly or indirectly although she's since visited his home when he wasn't there and has been seen around his home and he says if she appears outside with the dog and the dog runs up to him he'll be in the position of not being able to take the dog but having to phone the police or telling the dog to stay and walking away which would be him giving her the dog. The police have created this crazy situation.

Comment

Odd that they should see fit to do this then. I would personally get a solicitor involved who can sort things out for him (re the Police and the dog). You usually get a free half hour with them to see what can be done. It will be worth the money I suspect. Maybe contact a local veterans charity/group who may have some suggestions for funding etc?

Comment

Thank you Islandgirl. I was thinking the same way. Will keep posting on here to let people know what's happening with this. His bail has been extended to the middle of March but no charges have been laid - so the ex girlfriend still has the dog and will, no doubt, continue to stalk him, given that her ex husband had to get a restraining order against her.
          Last edited by jannijan; 12th February 2023, 21:34:PM. Reason: Grammatical error

Comment

Yes please do keep us updated. Warn your son about this person contacting him seeming reasonable then saying to Police that he has contacted her - he will be in big trouble. Avoid at all costs.

Comment

Thank you Islandgirl. I've already warned him about that and he seems to be aware of it himself. I'll keep you posted. He hasn't seen a lawyer yet and seems reluctant to do so. He seems to be hoping she'll return the dog but, of course, given the extension of bail till the middle of March, I can't see how she could do that.

Comment

I sais I would keep everyone updated on the outcome of this so here it is|:

My son ignored my advice and let the bail period end naturally, which it did after
                nine months. He is now going through a solicitor and going ater the police who
                facilitated the theft of my grandson's dog and failed to put restrictions on the party
                who stole the dog. Since being put on police bail nine months ago, he has been
                told every month not to attend the police station and that he would be informed
                of the bail extension by email. Obviously, he is going through a lawyer now and I will keep everyone on here posted with the progress he makes.

Comment

Thank you for the update. Please come back and tell us what happens.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X