• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Failed to follow through on festival ticket purchase - can I sue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed to follow through on festival ticket purchase - can I sue?

I put a festival ticket worth £300 for sale on FB. Had several offers, but went with a guy who told me he definitely wanted it and would be in Reading the day before the fest to do the deal.

So arranged to meet him the night before. Chased up via several FB messages without response. Quickly put it back up for sale, had two interested parties. Then he responded to tell me he still wanted it - or his friend did, and his friend would message me.

Friend messaged me to tell me he defo wanted the ticket, meet him early the next morning, in Reading.

Then nothing the next day. And did not sell the ticket.

Messaged this man, who told me his friend go it elsewhere. Asked him to pay for the unused ticket. He blocked me.

Messaged him from two other FB accounts, both blocked.

I have his address, can I sue him for breach of contract?
    Tags: None

Do not such tickets normally include clauses denying your right to assign them? If so in this case, a contract to do something unlawful would not normally be enforceable.

Comment

Oh no you can sell this one one if you want.

Comment

Who are you wanting to sue - the man you communicated with or his friend?

Comment

The man I communicated with. He initially told me he wanted it, and then told me he was, effectively, acting as an agent to facilitate a sale to his friend (a bit odd, in hindsight)

Comment

An agent for a disclosed principal is not generally liable for a principal's failure to complete. I think there are doubts here, but, on balance and just, I would put it behind me.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
              An agent for a disclosed principal is not generally liable for a principal's failure to complete. I think there are doubts here, but, on balance and just, I would put it behind me.
              Are you suggesting Jackknows just writes off £300 with no attempt to recover anything?

He (or she) says that the tickets can lawfully be resold, that they advertised them for sale, that a person "D" offered to buy them, and it sounds as if the OP accepted that offer. If the OP knows the name of person "D" and their address, what do they have to lose by raising a claim against them? It's irrelevant what happened after the OP accepted D's offer to buy, as D was already bound, weren't they?

Of course the OP might lose any claim, or the person D might not be able to pay any judgment that the OP might win, but surely that is no reason to "put it behind you"?

Most people can't afford to just write off £300 as a learning - or any other kind of - experience.

Comment

I do not believe the money can be recovered in this case. The sensible thing to do would have been to meet and transact the night before still giving time to resell the ticket if there were problems.

Comment

I would usually let it lie, but I find it particularly galling both the attitude of the man who lied to me, and that he continues to block me after telling me to "f&** off" - absolutely no remorse being shown by this unpleasant person.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                    I do not believe the money can be recovered in this case. The sensible thing to do would have been to meet and transact the night before still giving time to resell the ticket if there were problems.
                    Or possibly quite a few days away that allows this occurrence will not backfire.

Comment

What difference does that make? In any case it was only put up for sale three days before the event, when I knew I could not attend.

Comment

Perhaps take a deposit next time? De Dogs is right - sell as early as possible. This person may be horrible but I do not think you would win a case against them though others may disagree

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X