• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking a company in the USA to Court in the UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a company in the USA to Court in the UK

I want to take USPS to Court.

Does anyone know if I can give a USA address for service on my N1 claim form and whether the case would then be heard in my local Court?

It is about a missing item they mailed to me which never showed up (mailed it to my UK address whilst I was in the USA).

Thanks

Tags: None

Basically it will depend on your contract.
    If it states the countryt of jurisdiction that is where you will need to sue, and in this case it is likely to be USA.

However even if you won a case in the UK, as there is no reciprocal enforcement agreement between the two countries, you won't automatically recover any award.

Comment

You need a UK office address or the permission of the court.

Comment

Originally posted by JuneWonder View Post
        It is about a missing item they mailed to me which never showed up (mailed it to my UK address whilst I was in the USA).
        Did your proposed defendant know it shouldn't do this?

Postal services tend to have terms and conditions that limit the ability to to bring claims.

Did you pay for the item by credit card? That may give you an avenue to obtain redress.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

a useful link indicating the USPS position on lost mail::
          https://about.usps.com/publications/...6_tech_013.htm
          Last edited by des8; 6th July 2022, 07:57:AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X