• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discretionary trust - pension of deceased not added

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discretionary trust - pension of deceased not added

So my mother passed away in July 2019 putting my share into a Discretionary Trust.

I have a letter from the Trustees solicitor that I am apparently entitled to both the income and the capital, even though I have never received a penny since she died.

I have one major problem I need advice on.

When my parents got divorced in the early 2000's, my mother as part of her divorce settlement had a substantial amount of money from my father's workplace private pension.

She received a whopping £500,000, but this pension for some reason has been left out of her overall estate.

I believe for whatever reason that the Trustees hid this money, and have clearly not declared this to the Probate people as the overall net value was only just under £1million.

After taxes, her net estate was only around £450K

Its quite clear looking at figures provided, this pension appears to have been left out surely that is fraudulent and depriving the estate.
    Tags: None

As far as I'm aware (not a lawyer), then assuming this money is still within the pension fund it does not form part of the deceased's estate and is not subject to inheritance tax. It's normal for anyone with a private pension to stipulate to the Trustees of the pension what should happen to those funds when they die. So I think you need to contact the pension fund?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X