• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legality query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legality query

Apologies I posted this in the welcome section by mistake!
    I have posted before about my neighbours and their private lane that I need to access to get to the rear of my rented property, this is however a new question as he has said he is not happy with some tarmac that has been layed that he is claiming is on his property ( a bit of it, a foot or so at most) a local developer had some excess tarmac and I asked them to use it to cover a step between the unadopted Road and this private lane.
    my neighbour is claiming that it is not legal to have repaired his lane without permission, is he correct or can i just ignore him?
    Tags: None

I would say that he is right. From your description, your property (the new tarmac) appears to be trespassing on his land. I suppose its like overhanging branches from one property to another, where the right exists to cut down the overhang but the title in the branches remains with the property where they came from.

Was the step a danger? Whilst he appears to retain the right to dig out the new tarmac and give it back to you, would that expose him to a claim under the Occupier's Liability Act if you or anyone else were to have an accident as a result of the step? Perhaps you could raise the question that the step (if it is on his land) is dangerous (presumably it could be if it is a trip hazard) and that you took it upon yourself to remove the danger.

Comment

I guess I can claim it is a danger, any step in a road/lane has potential for danger, the main reason for covering it was wear and tear on my cars driving over it, thanks for the insight, just wanted to no if his claim that it illegal is correct when next he approaches me.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X