• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can I do anything about this legally?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do anything about this legally?

My partner and I have just left a rental property and ended up in a dispute with the landlord. They claimed the property was left in a mess and that we had taken things they owned. I asked for an inventory as it’s things like cutlery and pans and I genuinely don’t remember what was ours and what was theirs (we lived there almost 3 years). The landlord agreed to repay the deposit in full so that’s now not part of the concern.

However, they’ve taken extreme exception to me asking for an inventory and explaining that I understood my rights regarding tenancy deposits and possible deductions.

The landlord sent us an email where they’ve called us

Petty
    Dirty
    Very dirty
    Not trustworthy
    Not honest
    Not honourable

I’m not too bothered but my partner is very upset by this, which obviously has angered me. I want to reply back and correct several things they’ve said but is there anything I can actually do about this? I don’t know anything about this type of situation so any advice would be great.

Also to note that every time I met the landlord they bad- mouthed the previous tenant so my partner is worried about what they will now by saying about us.
    Tags: None

They are just their 'thoughts' on you, a different landlord will have different 'thoughts'. You've answered your own question in some ways. The 'landlord' has low opinion of tenants regardless of any reality 'note that every time I met the landlord they bad- mouthed the previous tenant'. The best thing to do is to send him an unexpected 'Christmas' card and enjoy sending it.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...your-landlord/

Comment

Thanks Echat, just frustrating I guess especially with how much it’s upset my partner. Would really like to be able to do something even just to make her feel better about the whole thing.

Comment

You "won" in that you got your deposit back without a fight. This kind of LL often makes unlawful deductions and then you have the frustration of ensuring you get back what you are owed Given what you say it is almost certain this person is telling the new tenants how awful you were! Don't let it bother you - it means nothing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X