• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parish council have "lost" minute book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish council have "lost" minute book

Hi all,

I think this is the most appropriate forum, excuse me if I have the wrong place.

Who do I complain to about a parish council having "lost" a old minute book? I should add that I have doubts it is lost. I have already found out that the parish clerk lied to me, claiming she had looked through the minutes for me and there wasn't anything in them. In fact there were 5 references to one of the 2 addresses I said I was interested in and in 4 of those cases the address was the section heading. Missing one could be an error, maybe, but missing 5? The same clerk has also had a convenient PC crash wiping out data when I did an FOI request so you can understand my doubt.

I know that s228 of Local Government Act 1972 gives me the right to inspect the minutes and make copies, and that it makes it a criminal offence to interfere with that right, however I have doubts that the police would do anything since they refuse to investigate a fraud I have also discovered. I made the request to view the minutes under s288 and FOI act so I'm thinking that a call to ICO might be one option. Do I have any others?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Have you made a formal complaint to the council in writing?

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Have you made a formal complaint to the council in writing?
      The parish council or the unitary council? I know that the (unitary) monitoring officer deals with complaints about parish councillors but who is responsible for the parish clerk? I also know that LGO cannot deal with parish councils. And from repeated experience, that the MO will do nothing about parish council misbehaviour (like slander + libel on 2 occasions and perjury).

I don't mean to sound negative. I should probably look at this as ensuring that I dot all the i's. What do you suggest?
      Last edited by beardsince1978; 26th September 2021, 09:47:AM. Reason: revision

Comment

If it is a Parish Council then you can complain to the next level up (usually a borough council). They will have a standards committee. Get in touch with them and explain the issues. You will have to make a formal complaint to them and it will be investigated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X