• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Worrying bill from the no win no fee man

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worrying bill from the no win no fee man

Hello guys.
    I’ve been directed here to discuss this matter and hopefully get the right advice.

Here’s the story…..

The Last summer just before lockdown I had a motorist reverse into my parked car and also hit me as I was standing beside the car, I’ve a witness etc, now this is exactly how it went down…

WE exchanged details etc and went on our way, within the hour I had a call from what I was led to believe was my insurance company (they worded it very well) I was of course still shaken up and just went along with it.
    Shortly after I had another call focusing on my injury to my leg and knee, now of course I assumed it was through my insurance company, I sent them pics of my leg etc and they also wanted pics of my damaged car.
    They sent me some email to sign to authorise them to value my car and act for my injury compensation which I did as I was still under the impression that it was my insurance company.

I heard totally nothing for many many months, no email replies nothing.
    So I then called my car insurance company and asked why I’ve not been paid for my car or heard any injury claim news, they knew nothing at all about the entire incident!
    I told them everything and was told by the guy on the phone ‘Mr so and so, this is now happening every day and it’s not the first time I’ve heard of a client being duped” yes he said DUPED.
    I then made a proper claim for the car and got paid for it. So all fine there……

Now, after many tiring attempts I got hold of somebody at the ‘no win no fee’ company and told them I felt like I’ve been bamboozled, and to please forget the whole thing, its all sorted now, thank you. Only to be immediately replied with ‘well you need to pay our engineers report on your car sir, 108 pounds’.
    I was somewhat taken aback by this to say the least. I then several weeks ago took a call from them asking me what’s happening, I again said just please forget the whole thing please.

Now, I’m sure you guys will not be surprised at what’s just landed on my doormat this evening!
    Yes you guessed it, an invoice for the thick end of four grand nearly, with a letter stating they’ve tried contacting me to no avail and here is our bill for what we’ve done for you. Texts, letters, phone calls etc you know the kind of thing.
    FYI guys, it’s the only paper physical letter I’ve ever had from them.
    Oh, with 21 days to pay or else! And then the usual we will take legal action for the money, oh it also said I can pay on installments if I like! Which I found highly intriguing for an initial bill/letter.
    I think I should call my real insurance company in the morning and just ask them if they can maybe send them a letter or something?
    Please let me know what you guys think.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated indeed.

All my best to you all

Tags: None

EXC may be able to advise.

Comment

It was an 'unsolicited call' from the CMC. It might be an idea to 'track down' the call from your service provider, send them a SAR.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...fings/sn06075/

Comment

Subject Access Request Letter

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
          Thanks MIKE770.

Comment

Thanks all.

So is it this so called compensation law firm that's trying to bill me that I send the SAR to then?
            or do I try and find the origin of weird initial call I had from the "accident claims management " company that called me just after it happened?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aboveall View Post
              Thanks all.

So is it this so called compensation law firm that's trying to bill me that I send the SAR to then?
              or do I try and find the origin of weird initial call I had from the "accident claims management " company that called me just after it happened?

Thanks
              The "accident claims management " company, no doubt they are one and the same that 'called you'.

Comment

I think I should call my real insurance company in the morning and just ask them if they can maybe send them a letter or something? And write a letter keep a copy and proof of posting, better still signed for.

Comment

Afraid your insurers won't be much help except to confirm they settled your claim .

The CMC should have been pursuing the third party on your behalf.
                  Did they obtain any compensation for your injury? I thought not!

Do you still have qf copy of that email authorising them to value your vehicle?
                  Did you ever get written terms & conditions for you "contract" with them?

Comment

Hi des8
                    I've looked through my emails and found these....

I signed a no win no fee agreement authority form
                    a conditional fee agreement form
                    And ialso signed signed this thing that said I agree with the engineers report.

When they got these, bearing in mind I at this stage thought they was my insurance people, they then kept on and on and on for me to pay them for the engineers report.

That's when I twigged and called my actual insurance company.
                    I want to know what I should do now.
                    I really don't know how to just make these awful people go away and just leave me alone.

all my best to you.

Comment

The starting point of your complaint against the CMC is the 'unsolicited' call you received from them within hours of your accident, from what you say they led you to believe they were from your insurance company (easy to do, no doubt you were still in shock from the accident). What you signed 'subsequently' was signed in error as you still believed you were dealing with your insurance company.

If you don't want to get details from the CMC (SAR), write a Formal Letter of Complaint, mark it as such, send to the CMC (follow their complaints procedure). Explain what's happened, that you received an 'unsolicited phone call' from them, that they mislead you, that eventually your insurance company dealt with the matter and made payment to you. If they don't discontinue their nonsense, your next steps are to make complaints to the Financial Ombudsman Service and the Financial Conduct Authority, but let the CMC know that you will be doing that.

Comment

One question how did the CMC Get the phone number in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                          One question how did the CMC Get the phone number in the first place?
                          The other motorist probably lodged the accident with their insurers etc.

Comment

Do you have copy of these "things" you signed?

You give the impression that all this was done by 'phone or on line.
                            According to Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations you should have received
                            confirmation of the contract on a durable medium.
                            If you haven't, the contract may not be enforceable

Comment

Guys you're all pretty damn amazing I must say!

Yes I've copies of the online signings.
                              All was done online and phonecalls, the only ever physical paper I've ever had was this absurd recent bill! (one could possibly think this is how they make money, but I can't say that, it's just a thought).

I've literally just now printed off the data request letter from here, and in the fillable highlighted part for additional info I just put "can you please indicate how you initially obtained my information".
                              I'll send that off recorded on my way to work in the morning.

Do you guys think I should now just wait how they reply to that, before I let them know about not giving me any durable medium/ and complaining to ombudsman?
                              ​​

All my best

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X