• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Police caution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police caution

Hi all,

In 2013 some students tried to pickpocket my drunk husband outside of a club. We got into a pushing and shoving fight, exchanged a lot of profanities and left. There were no punches thrown and only scratches and bruises on both sides.
    A week later, a Police Officer turned up at my door and asked me to go down to the station the next day for a chat. I wasn't under arrest and attended willingly.
    Long story short, I ended up with a caution. The police played down the whole situation to me by saying that if I accepted the caution I could go home, forget about it and it would be off my record in 5 years anyway. The students had witness statements (omitting the pickpocketing of course) but I was advised it would have to go to court if I wanted my friends to give statements. I was young and scared of court so I just accepted so I could go home.

Fast forward to now, I've been accepted on to a uni course that requires an Enhanced DBS. I've read the letter that the PO gave me a thousand times and I'm certain it said "Section 39 Common Assault" (and as such have waited 6 years for it to be filtered). However, I've done a Subject Access Request and it says "Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm". Typically I can't find the paperwork that I was given but I emailed the Information Governance Officer assuming a mistake had been made on the PNC. He has recalled the case file and advised me that it does say ABH. I never so much as received a fine and I was never arrested yet I have a caution on my file for life.

He has emailed the following to me but I don't believe it's correct -

"As previously stated, I am advised by our DBS team that the distinction between ABH and common assault would not make any difference from a DBS point of view. The offence would be subject to filtering for a standard check. An enhanced check would flag to a Disclosure Officer to consider the circumstances and whether there is any necessity to disclose any information held in relation to the type of job role applied for. Details of the decision making process can be found on the gov.uk website."

I'm thinking of speaking to a solicitor as the seriousness of this offence has been played down to me by the police twice now and my uni place is on the line. I don't really have any legal knowledge so I'm wondering whether this is worth pursuing.
    Tags: None

Hi Keeankyd

I'm sure others will have more info and respond. Here's some info in the meantime -

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgeb...information-2/

Comment

ABH is considerably more serious in court - you can google the sentencing guidelines for the magistrates court and see potential sentences for each offence. Whether they make a difference in a DBS situation I do not know. This is a huge issue with cautions - people being told they are "nothing" and won't impact on a person's future...but they do. Hence my advice to everyone - never ever go to be interviewed without a solicitor. I really hope that someone will post to assist you - I can only think of a complaint to the chief constable?

Comment

Can't you ask the police via SAR for a copy of the actual document you signed at the time. That's what I would be looking to do.

https://www.nacro.org.uk/criminal-re...record/#police

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

The Information Governance guy is sending me a copy of the document I signed. Apparently it definitely has ABH on it though. Maybe I'm mistaken but I specifically remember sitting down with that piece of paper and checking it against the list of offences that are eligible for filtering and breathing a sigh of relief as Common Assault was filtered. I've turned my whole house upside down but I can't find it.

I regret not getting a solicitor at the time. I actually asked half way though if I could still have one but the reply was "well you can but you'll have to stay here for a couple of hours whilst they arrive". I should have fought my corner but it's difficult when you're young, stupid and scared.

Comment

I don't know what the laws around retrospective action are, but providing there is nothing that they can do now with the alleged ABH. You need to do everything you can to remove the ABH. As you stated, ABH is serious, so where is the penalty? No penalty. That is what needs to be pointed out to them. Either something has gone wrong regards police administration or they mislead (told you it was a caution yet the record shows ABH) you at the time.

Comment

I think this is a caution for ABH (which is the punishment/penalty in itself) though I would have thought that too serious to deal with in this way and I agree it should be removed but making that happen will not be easy.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X