• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Perverting the course of justice......or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perverting the course of justice......or not?

I'm just trying to understand what makes a lie to and/or attempt to mislead the Police perverting the course of justice rather than (say) wasting Police time. Seriousness of consequences seems to be one dimension, but that wouldn't really explain the scenario of someone taking speeding points for someone else on their driving license.

Conversely, I can understand why someone who knowingly and deliberately makes a false allegation in order to have someone placed under investigation typically perverts the course of justice, ditto witness intimidation or whatever. I can also understand that someone making a silly/meritless false allegation for whatever reason, might simply get a fine for wasting Police time.

But what of those cases that sit somewhere in between? So let's say someone makes an allegation that they believe to be true, but is in fact incorrect (as distinct from false). If the allegation is irrational enough and/or they maintain it when it becomes clear they are in the wrong, they might still face a fine for wasting Police time but probably no more. But what if that person tries to "beef up" their (incorrect) allegation with false claims and attempts to mislead, in order to make it more credible/believable? Have they perverted the course of justice or committed some other offence?

It seems to me that if the effect of beefing up the allegation takes it from not being credible (because it is incorrect!), to being taken seriously, and resulting in an investigation of someone where one might not have otherwise taken place, it potentially HAS perverted the course of justice - yet this sort of scenario doesn't appear in examples of the offence. However I have found some CPS text that states it might be the appropriate charge where "the acts wrongfully expose another person to risk of arrest or prosecution" which I guess fits.

A similar situation might arise where a low level form of an offence has been committed, but the complainant isn't happy with that and lies to/misleads the Police to make the offence look like a more serious one, with more serious potential consequences. That too feels like justice has been perverted.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    Tags: None

It must be really quiet in Yorkshire to be posting these questions at 23:06 hours?

Comment

Originally posted by EnglandPi View Post

Today, 03:06:AM

It must be really quiet in Yorkshire to be posting these questions at 23:06 hours?
      I'm guessing you don't do irony then?

FYI we don't pass judgment on why or indeed when people post here.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglandPi View Post
        Joking aside, it's a general question - but it relates to a specific matter under consideration that falls in that grey area, which would have been too difficult to explain in full and probably raised too many questions from people which I can't yet answer. The Police must be lied to and/or stories embellished daily - so I'm just trying to understand what, other than the obvious/published scenarios the CPS list, tips the balance towards the serious offence.

Comment

As always what the CPS can prove and have a chance of making stick in court I would imagine plays a large part in any decision...

Comment

Preventing the course of justice derives from case law. So if you think the scenario you have is a grey area then it will be decided by the court as to whether that is the case.

The key thing to understand is when one perverts the course of justice, it is the conduct and intent that is generally looked at. If there is an honest belief in the allegation which can be backed up by some sort of evidence/explanation, then it’s likely not that you are perverting the course of justice. If that position then changes but you continue to maintain the allegation despite knowing it not to be true, I think you would undoubtedly be perverting the course of justice because those allegations could result in an injustice to the accused.

Dont think there’s a hard and fast rule about it but certainly the seriousness of the allegation and what stage it is at would also be taken into account i.e. false allegations of rape or murder are more likely to see you being charged with this offence than someone who falsely accuses a person of harassing a neighbour, though I suppose there is an element of discretion on the police/CPS as to whether they feel it’s worth pursuing in the public interest.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post

I'm guessing you don't do irony then?

FYI we don't pass judgment on why or indeed when people post here.

At 03:06 hours I was merely commenting, why anyone would think I was passing judgement is beyond me.

Comment

Sounds familiar

Comment

Perverting the course of justice and wasting police time are alternative - not exclusive - charges and which is the preferred option will depend on the circumstances and often the severity of their consequences.

The former is indictable-only with a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, whereas the latter is summary-only with up to 6 months imprisonment.

Here is some light reading on these, and kindred, offences:

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...rging-standard

Comment

Aged William - thanks. I'd found that but was struggling to find some good examples I could compare to this particular situation. In this case, it has gone over the 6 months for the start of proceedings for a summary offence such as wasting police time anyway - which is shame as I think that would have been completely solid ground.

rob - I think you've got me a little bit further on this around your focus on conduct and intent. It's speculation at the moment but we think the individual might have genuinely believed AN offence had taken place - but that belief wouldn't be considered reasonably held as its irrational, and was in fact completely incorrect. Even had it been true, it would still have been at the bottom of the family of offences with very limited consequences such as a warning.

But it looks like what he has done is made a specific allegation (probably because it sounds good and he would know it would get immediate Police attention) of the more serious form of the offence - and distorted and embellished his testimony to try and make it appear that had been committed. By definition, that has to be out of malice and the Police know he has a motive. Ref. islandgirl comment, it's fairly likely the distortions and embellishments can be proven to be so (some are just plain daft) - but it still leaves the question whether it would get over the line for perverting the course of justice. I feel it *ought* to but that doesn't mean it will.

Comment

Exactly - nail on the head. CPS generally won't prosecute on anything that they are not fairly certain they can win (well in theory, though sometimes we do say "why on earth has this case ended up here...") One man's distortion is another man's "honest belief at the time"...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X