• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

GDPR and Companies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDPR and Companies

I am a shareholder of a non-profit Management Company and along with other Shareholders I have to pay an annual membership fee.
    Last year I had a dispute (personal) with a fellow shareholder. The fellow shareholder discussed my dispute with the Management Company Directors as he thought they could intervene and assist him to resolve the dispute in his favour.
    The dispute never came to a resolution.

Today I have been given a copy of a series of e-mails (SAR) which shows clearly that one of the Directors had told my neighbour confidential information relating to my financial dealings with the Management Company. The e-mails do not identify which of the Directors shared the information with the shareholder.

Since the incident occurred, all of the Directors have resigned.

In my opinion (correct me if I am wrong) the divulging of personal information held by the company was a breach of GDPR.
    If this is the case, do I have any legal redress on the Management Company for the breach, and if so, what. Also would the claim be against the Company, or the Directors at the time.
    Tags: None

I’m curious as to why he emails did not identify which of the directors shared the information. Was it sent from a generic or shared email address or did the person showing you the emails not wish to divulge the identity of the individual? Did the person sharing the emails with you also break GDPR rules? Did any of the directors sign a confidentiality agreement when they were appointed?

Comment

The e-mails relating to the circumstance did not mention which of the directors divulged the information.
      In 2 separate e-mails to the rest of his colleagues a director first raised a query about a financial matter relating to me with his colleagues for clarification. In a second e-mail he mentioned that the other shareholder had made reference to this information.
      The only people aware of the said information, apart from myself, were the directors, so one of them (probably the director who had raised the query) must have told the other shareholder - he could not have obtained the information from anyone else.

The directors had not, to my knowledge, signed a confidentiality agreement, but is that relevant if a director is sharing personal information with third parties.

Comment

so one of them (probably the director who had raised the query) must have told the other shareholder

Supposition is not actionable without evidence.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X