• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Citizens arrest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizens arrest

Good morning legal beagles,
    I have a question that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with, I dont seem to be able to find any info online about it.
    Firstly a disclaimer... I am asking this purely out of curiosity, I have no real need to act on it either way thankfully, but the question has come up and I'm a very curious soul.
    Is it possible, legally, to perform a citizens arrest on a police officer who is on duty?
    I am aware that performing a citizens arrests on anyone is a bit of a minefield legally and there a a few conditions that need to be met, and even then can be dubious. One of the main issues I see with this is that one of the conditions is that "you must believe at the time of arrest it is not reasonably practical for a police officer to perform the arrest", so if there are 2 officers present and one commits a crime it would be reasonable to assume that the other officer should/would make the arrest. So for the purposes of this question ill make up a scenario.
    An officer who is alone, in uniform, assaults a member of the public who is not reasonably suspected of committing an offence, and has not been in prior contact or conversation with that officer and a passer-by witnesses the event and wishes to perform a citizens arrest as there are no other officers in the vicinity.
    I know this is an extremely unlikely scenario but if it were to happen what would the passer-bys rights be? Is there an example of a police officer being arrested via a citizens arrest in the UK or has the precedent not been set?
    I have asked a couple of officers and they both replied that they didn't know, but we cant reasonably assume that every officer knows the law inside out.
    I have performed a citizens arrest and had it legally upheld but in very different circumstances, even then there were quite a few questions asked and im not entirely sure whether the officers involved just chose to ignore it or not.
    Many thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Citizen's arrest - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Citizen's_arrest
    England and Wales. A citizen's arrest can be lawfully carried out on any person under section 24A of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 for an indictable offence, including either way offences (in this section referred to simply as "an offence")

As a practical matter, you cannot make a citizen's arrest on a police office

Comment

In your scenario how does the passer by KNOW that the officer does not suspect the person he is arresting (assaulting?) is not wanted for a crime?

Comment

surely the person would just get his collar number and report him?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X