• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Name query.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Name query.


    I'm new here, I have a query regarding legality of first names, I use the short name of my name which is on my birth certificate, my parents never called me by the name on my birth certificate and I have always been known as the short version, we recently did our wills and the issue came up, on the only time my birth certificate name is used was on my now out of date passport, my national insurance card and by the NHS my driving licence even has the short name on it even though they had my birth certificate and NI card when I applied but was so long ago I can't remember if there was an option to have a different name on it, everything including my bank account,mortgage, pension etc has the non birth certificate name as my first name, is this a problem? It's the same initial letter though. If I reapplied for my passport is there an option to have aka my short name on there? Or should I just change my name by deed poll?! Thank you for any advice on this matter.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    The issue is not really to do with legality, it's about consistency, or you can unwittingly cause yourself some little problems, especially with travel abroad, credit checks and ID checks.

    My wife uses the shortened version of her first name as does everyone else who knows her. But on all key documents, bank accounts, credit cards etc. (i.e. anything "official") she ALWAYS uses the full version of her forename. My dad does exactly the same.

    Changing your name by deed poll is an option to tidy things up, but that is entirely your decision. Just bear in mind that there are a small number of situations (such as getting a DBS check) which will require you to detail previous names used, even if you don't use the form of name day-to-day. You may also have to supply a copy of your deed poll in certain situations too. This is no different though, from changes of name due to marriage etc.

    There are two types of deed poll so have a read of https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

    On your specific question regarding aka on a passport, it might be possible - as there are some other circumstances where the passport issuer will add notes regarding names to the OBSERVATIONS page. One that springs to mind is someone who has too many/too long forenames (I think that field is 30 characters long).


    • #3
      If you want to be confused read here: Change of name law | Deed Poll Office


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.