• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

eBay refunded item of £690, told the buyer to keep the item and are refusing to help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay refunded item of £690, told the buyer to keep the item and are refusing to help

I am posting here because I am out of options, and I have exhausted every avenue possible and now I’m being ignored by PayPal and eBay. I have spoken to eBay countless times and believe what they’re doing to me is morally and legally wrong, I am currently furloughed from work and decided to sell a few household items as I’m planning on moving out next year so I still need to keep my savings and survive in the current circumstances we unfortunately find ourselves in. I’m also an apprentice, so it’s not like money is disposable to me, and this is a huge loss.
    So, I decided to make an eBay account with my brother to sell household items, I bought an iPad Pro in January with the intention of using it for work and never got round to using it as work issued me with one. However, I decided to list it on eBay, and found my eBay account to be suspended. I contacted eBay who unsuspended it after verifying my items and the whereabouts of them. I was a bit weary but continued to sell items and ship them with tracking and got no negative feedback, it was mainly smaller items other than this iPad Pro. After this, the iPad Pro sold for £690 and my account was again suspended indefinitely due to a high risk of me selling with them (according to Google, this is because you have to ease your way into selling or they find it suspicious). But I contacted eBay and asked if it was fine to still send the item and was told it’s completely fine as the item and myself are covered, as is the buyer. Once the item arrived, the buyer decided he would try and open a return case on grounds I didn’t tell him the iPad was bought from Amazon Germany not Amazon UK. eBay offered me the chance to reject the claim, to which I did stating Apple’s warranty is covered worldwide and all settings are decided on setup so it’s not like he’s getting an iPad in another language or carrier locks as it was a wifi only model. He stated the iPad was still sealed and he wouldn’t use it as he wanted a refund.
    He then emailed me stating he wanted a £70 refund, to which I rejected as the iPad would sell for £690 still so said I’d happily accept a refund if it was still sealed, to which he stated he had now opened it. My response was if there was an issue as big as he was making out, why did he continue to unseal and use the iPad? He opened a new case and immediately asked eBay to get involved to issue a partial refund. I then reached out to eBay on live chat stating the reasons I rejected the initial refund and why I don’t think it’s fair to accept a return, especially seeing as how the item is now opened after stating it wasn’t, despite having an issue with the iPad. The person on live chat simply stated my account is suspended and closed the chat on me.
    I thought my point has been made at least and left it at that, a few hours later it was decided he would get a refund and was told to keep the item. Immediately I reached out to eBay who told me as I’m suspended they cannot assist me in any way whatsoever, and if I had a problem with the outcome I need to ask nicely for the buyer to send the item back. I thought and explained it’ll never work, he’s been told to keep the item and got a refund, why would he willingly return it?*
    Long story short, eBay told me to ask PayPal to return the money if I had a problem. PayPal stated that they cannot assist me as it was an eBay dispute and they have no say over the matter. eBay have stated they cannot assist me, despite them telling me to send the item despite being suspended.
    I have reached out to Apple who stated that the iPad is wifi only so cannot even be blacklisted or marked as stolen, making this an impossible case without the help of yourselves. I can’t even explain how stressed this has made me, I know it sounds a sob story but I genuinely only sold the iPad to pay for my dogs operation, now I’m back to square one, if not back two steps. I am now in debt to my bank as eBay have debited me the funds of £690 and told me there’s zero they can do to assist me as the eBay account is now suspended indefinitely. And also alongside this, they have still charged me money to sell the item despite refunding the buyer, so in fact I’ve paid eBay £70 to give away my item for free.

What can I do here? I have considered issuing a money claim against the buyer but I doubt even that would work as he was told he could keep the item and get a refund. According to eBay, they checked once again and found it was a fair decision originally. On what planet is it "fair" for eBay to issue a full refund of £690 and told to keep the item without returning it, leaving me out of pocket £690 and told to still pay the eBay fees. So despite not wanting to help me, as I'm suspended, they still expect payment despite not assisting me whatsoever?
    Tags: None

see if you can open a paypal dispute (ebay disputes are seperate to paypal) or try re-engage with the buyer (i.e. in your position would you now accept £620 ?; if so, ask for this from the buyer in effort to resolve the problem).

if not it will have to be a money claim, if what you have said is true, then you will get your £690 back...

Comment

As you have found from Google, there are many, many people out there discussing Ebay, Paypal dreadful conduct.
      If Ebay 'didn't exist' and this transaction had taken place between you and the buyer direct, then you would have a clear case to recover your money via small claims court. In circumstances like this, Ebay frustrates the normal processes of consumer transactions.
      Clearly there is nothing to be done further with Ebay/Paypal, they have just shut the shutters and preventing you from seeking redress.

I would write to the 'buyer' of the ipad setting out this dispute and explaining that basic laws of the UK still apply with or without eBay's meddling. Just because 'they' say this is fair, does not make it so and that you are seeking direct redress for this failed transaction.

Hopefully others with more experience of these all to frequent Ebay/Amazon type disputes will have further ideas on whether there is anything further that can be done with Ebay/Paypal.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
        Hopefully others with more experience of these all to frequent Ebay/Amazon type disputes will have further ideas on whether there is anything further that can be done with Ebay/Paypal.
        i would definately advise to telephone ebay and or paypal as opposed to use their online customer services as you will be given the opportunity of a new person to speak with if the buyer will not pay.

KL2; write to the seller (in very short, as composed on word processor and after cool off period) as celeste points out; seeking financial redress ("the owing of £620" (leaving you £70 out of pocket "only"; baring in mind the item has now been openend and is NOT worth the stress.)

- enclosed is legislation regarding the interpretation of fraud if you want to provide to buyer; BUT important; it is not infact "fraud" as the buyer was "gifted the item by ebay" which although is "unlawful"; with a view to being objective, is (in regard to your "paypal holding £2500 for 180 days thread" etc...) "understandable why this has errorneously occured in this specific circumstance".

- hopefully it all gets sorted and hoping for your dog a speedy recovery.

kind regards
        An Act to make provision for, and in connection with, criminal liability for fraud and obtaining services dishonestly.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X