• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour Issues

My neighbour moved in next door in 2016.

Prior to this, she lived in Scotland with her daughter.

Since November last year, her daughter and son in law moved in.

We reported her to the council for council tax fraud (as we believed she had single occcupancy), the council wrote to her sometime in March, and we don't know the outcome as they claimed under Data Protection they wouldn't tell me what happend.

At the same time we also notified the electrol roll as the daughter and son in law had not been registered as living their either, again we don't know the outcome at the moment but can check the electrol next year.

The main problems we are experiencing are constant noise of banging on the party wall, sometimes gone 10pm at night, DIY gone 9pm on several occasions, just basic noise in general ever since the daughter and son in law moved in.

What I want to know is this, because the daughter and son in law are not listed as living there, what can we do about it!?

We are keeping detailed notes of dates and times of the noise, and their behaviour in general.

We've lived here for 6 years, and havent had a problem with anyone.

Tags: None

In the first instance, it is always best to speak with your neighbour in a civil manor regarding the noise.* If this does not solve the problems , it may be that you should speak to the environmental health department at your local council.* *Councils must look into complaints about noise that could be a ‘statutory nuisance’ (covered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990).
    Councils can investigate complaints of statutory nuisance to tackle noise produced at any time of day or night.* They may also issue warning notices in response to complaints about noise above permitted levels from 11pm to 7am. These warning notices can be used by councils for noise that’s not a statutory nuisance.
    The warning notice must tell the recipient:
    that the noise is coming from the premises between 11pm and 7am,** that the noise exceeds, or may exceed permitted levels as measured from within the complainant’s dwelling,* that the noise must be reduced to below the permitted level in a specified period (this must be at least 10 minutes after the notice is served and must end by 7am)* and what time the notice is issued.
    I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lawboy65 View Post
      In the first instance, it is always best to speak with your neighbour in a civil manor regarding the noise. If this does not solve the problems , it may be that you should speak to the environmental health department at your local council. Councils must look into complaints about noise that could be a ‘statutory nuisance’ (covered by the Environmental Protection Act 1990).
      Councils can investigate complaints of statutory nuisance to tackle noise produced at any time of day or night. They may also issue warning notices in response to complaints about noise above permitted levels from 11pm to 7am. These warning notices can be used by councils for noise that’s not a statutory nuisance.
      The warning notice must tell the recipient:
      that the noise is coming from the premises between 11pm and 7am, that the noise exceeds, or may exceed permitted levels as measured from within the complainant’s dwelling, that the noise must be reduced to below the permitted level in a specified period (this must be at least 10 minutes after the notice is served and must end by 7am) and what time the notice is issued.
      I hope this helps.
      Thanks for the reply.

Because the son in law and daughter are not registered under the council as legally living next door, what can I do about it as its them who's making all the noise!?

Comment

This is a different issue to the noise problem.* For example; if the registered resident is receiving a discounted amount of council tax to pay,, then there* may be a case of fraud.* However, this may or may not be the case. Failure to register where you are living may result in a fine unless you are registered at another address.

Comment

It could also be they are listed on the Full Electoral Roll but have opted out and therefore will not appear in the edited version which is what is usually available to view.

Comment

I have viewed the full electrol roll at the council and they are NOT on their.

The council sent them a form to return, don't know if she did.

Also I reported her for council tax fraud, don't know the outcome as they wont tell me under Data Protection.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X