• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

When is a contract considered formed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a contract considered formed?

Let's say I want to buy some chocolate. I indicate to the person in the store I want. the chocolate, waiting at the counter, and hand over exact change. Is this then done and dusted? Is there a requirement I get the receipt to confirm the contract/sale has taken place? If not, could the person behind the counter hand me my money back and say "it's gone up in price by five pence in the last few seconds, so you can still have it but you need to pay 5p more."
    Tags: None

There are 4 key ingredients which form a contract, an offer, acceptance of the offer, consideration and an intention to create legal relations.

I suspect in your situation the issue is the offer and acceptance part. There is a very well known case when you study law called Pharmaceutical Society of GB v Boots where the Court of Appeal held that the display of goods is an invitation to treat, and when you put your goods into the basket and take it to the counter you are then making an offer. The person behind the counter can then choose to accept your offer or reject it. Only when you hand the cash over and the person accepts it, the contract becomes formed.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

R0b*would you say that accepting the money from the person would be tantamount to the forth condition? i.e. acceptance? Seems so to me. No receipt would have to be provided to validate the acceptance, imo.

Comment

There is no requirement in law to provide a receipt.

Whether theres an intention to create legal relations is fact specific. Just because you hand cash over and the receiving person takes hold of it doesn't always mean that the contract is formed at that specific point. For example, if you handed over the incorrect amount then the recipient would be entitled to ask for the correct amount.*

The type of question your asking seems quite specific, is there a story behind this or is it some kind of legal study question?*
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

It is a flight I booked. I booked online and paid, and the money was held, and then taken from my bank account. But a day later the company sent me a refund. This was after I asked where my confirmation was. They told me that seconds after I booked, and the money was taken from my bank, they changed their prices. So they arranged the money to be refunded, and are now offering me the flight at £45 more cost.

Comment

So have you read the terms and conditions of sale and if so, what do they say about when the contract is formed?

Have you re-booked the flight?
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

T+C state that the flights are not final until the confirmation email is received. However, I would have thought general contract law trumps this?

Comment

Contract law is governed by what was agreed between the contracting parties. There are general contract principles but the courts will tend to apply what had been captured in the agreement unless its contrary to the law.

It is common for airlines and other goods and services companies to set out when a contract has been concluded.

So if the terms say that a contract is concluded when receiving confirmation email, then your contract with the airline does not exist until that point has been reached.
                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X