• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Has a contract been created

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has a contract been created

Ordering goods online today and my debit card was declined by the retailer.**

First attempt* resulted in "card declined" message with a suggestion to try again.

Second attempt same results*

Bank showed 2 pending amounts.* Phone call to bank confirmed* no problems their end and the amounts approved

Phone call to retailer and they manually tried to take order, with same declined result.* They blamed my address not agreeing with the bank database

Back to the bank again,who were rather bemused with the excuse, and the third attempt* marked pending.

Found what I wanted elsewhere.

Email from retailer some 4 hours later saying my order (!!??) would be delivered by Hermes.

My position is that as my payments were declined then there can be no contract in place.* I have written and told them, politely, what they can do with their order.

Have I assumed correctly about the validity of the contract?

Tags: None

Hi,*
    This is a bit tricky.
    By displaying the goods online the company was making what is known as "an invitation to treat". In response to this you made an offer to buy when attempting to buy the goods, which the company could accept or reject. If the website said your payment did not go through, and you have proof of this, i would have thought your offer was not complete.
    However, if the payment went through and you received an acceptance e.g an email of conformation of the order, this would count as acceptance of the contract.*

I would wait to see what the company say in response and state as the payments status were all pending you had no confirmation of acceptance of the contract and assumed them void. Also, I would say that you took extra steps, calling your bank, to figure out why the status was pending attempting to solve the problem so it was clearly an issue on their end. Perhaps an issue with the website.*
    Just to make clear, did the any of the payments go through to the company?

It might be useful to you to have a look at this site for further information*https://www.businesscompanion.info/e...umer-contracts
    Hope this helps
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

Back to the bank again,who were rather bemused with the excuse, and the third attempt marked pending.
      I think if you were aware that the third attempt was pending and you didn't do anything to inform the company that you no longer wanted the goods or at least told your bank to block any payment, could be arguable that a contract may have been entered into.

Having said that, if you were told explicitly it was declined then you could say that you relied on that statement and looked elsewhere for the goods, therefore any payment taken from your account was an unauthorised payment.

Probably worth sticking to your guns on this, they might back down though they do have your money presumably so ball might end up in your court to decide what to do.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X