• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council have ignored my calls am I still culpable if a fine is issued to old address?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council have ignored my calls am I still culpable if a fine is issued to old address?

Last week when I was moving out I took the bins out with my standard weekly load, it was the wrong day for this but I assumed it wouldn't be a problem. One hour later a very angry man from the council asked if my name was the same name as a parcel he'd found by searching through my trash, took no other details (just a name, and address, and a verbal yes to asking me if I was my name or not, I don't think he recorded it), said I'd be prosecuted for £500+ for fly tipping then left. Nothing written down at this point basically some random council man with a lanyard shouting at me and refusing to ID himself and telling me I'd be prosecuted.

I immediately rang the council and got put through a to a woman claiming to be his boss and explained the situation, she said he'd tell him to ring me back and encouraged me to remove the rubbish (Which I did because there was hardly any). There was no call back from either him or her the next day and at this point I had no access to the old property in the case a fine was issued.

I rang the council again, this time they refused to put me through to the team I was speaking to yesterday due to "policy", so I provided my full details, my email address, my number and the new address and a blow by blow account of what happened. I was assured they'd forward this to "back office" and they'd send me an email explaining things 'tomorrow'.

It has been a week, I've heard nothing from either call, I don't actually know if I've been fined / prosecuted and have no way of finding out right now since I was just told verbally I'd be "recommended for prosecution" by the initial council bloke. In the case that they send a fine to my old address and court summons happen without my knowledge are these calls I made a good grounds for appeal or do I need to keep ringing them? It's at a point where I feel like I'm risking kicking the hornets nest if I call back and they have dropped the issue and a new call reminds them to pick it back up.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X