• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Left with friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left with friend

Hi,, I am not sure which category this comes under....
    I left my son's canoe in a friends garden. On returning to collect it,, he told me he had advertised it on facebook and given it away. He had allegedly been told I had turned up at a neighbours, drunk, falling over and telling them to burn my stuff (all totally untrue!) He then disposed of it. He had my phone number and could have called me. He will not tell me where it went, even with a facebook message trail to follow. I am incandescent with rage, especially as it belonged to my son and was nearly new (about £600!) What can I do? Any help short of holding his children to ransom, would be appreciated. Thanks, Martyn
    Tags: None

You (or your son) could initiate a court claim for its return or its value.

Comment

Originally posted by mott999 View Post
      I left my son's canoe in a friends garden. On returning to collect it,, he told me he had advertised it on facebook and given it away. He had allegedly been told I had turned up at a neighbours, drunk, falling over and telling them to burn my stuff (all totally untrue!) He then disposed of it. He had my phone number and could have called me. He will not tell me where it went, even with a facebook message trail to follow. I am incandescent with rage, especially as it belonged to my son and was nearly new (about £600!) What can I do? Any help short of holding his children to ransom, would be appreciated. Thanks, Martyn
      Is this legally theft?
      What would be the basis of a court action?
      Thanks, Martyn

Comment

Is this legally theft?
        What would be the basis of a court action?
        Thanks, Martyn

Comment

Could well be classed as theft as defined in Theft Act 1968.

However do you want him punished by a criminal court (in which case report to the police and see if they charge him) or do you want to recover the value of the canoe?
          If the latter you will have to initiate a civil claim in the county courts on the basis your ex friend wrongly interfered your property.
          Your claim would be based on common law or The Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 .

Before starting any action however you should ascertain if he has any means of paying you when you win!

Comment

Originally posted by mott999 View Post
            Seem to muck up order of posts. Apologies
            Yes he has the means
            I just want the canoe back; he can easily trace the transaction. I will send him stroppy letter with relevant acts and see if that works. Thanks, DesB!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X