• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Threatened with legal action for using someone's photo in my blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threatened with legal action for using someone's photo in my blog

I was happily minding my own business this lunchtime when I received a message on my non-profit Wordpress travel blog from a photographer unhappy with the use of one of his copyrighted photos. Admittedly, I didn't ask for his permission to use the photo, even though I credited him for the work underneath the photo.

This blog post was from 2014, so nearly 5 years old. I no longer use the blog, as I cannot be bothered to upkeep it.

However, I don't want any trouble so I deleted the post/photo in question immediately (like, within 5 minutes).

What upsets me is that he also stated that his legal team will be sending me an invoice for around £1500 - an amount I cannot pay in one fell swoop, as I am already in debt tbh.

I know that I am in the wrong for using a photo without permission, but as my amateur travel blog is completely a hobby (I don't earn anything from it) I am terrified at the amount I have to pay when the invoice comes.

Is there not a stipulation for free-use? If not, what is possible on my behalf to avoid/reduce the penalty price?
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

that seems to be an excessive amount.
    If it was to go to court the copyright owner could claim damages.
    These are under the heading of General damages and Punitive damages
    The first is generally the amount he would have received if he had given permission for the use of the photo (ie compensation)
    The second comes from any aspect that includes criminality or profit on your part.

In mitigation you did credit the photographer.

Your best course of action will be to try negotiating with him, or take professional legal advice

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X