• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour on trial for keying my cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour on trial for keying my cars

Hello,

We moved into our new property in May 2017 and soon after we were having problems with our neighbour opposite. Over the past twelve months my neighbour has been intimidating us and, spitting on our cars and keying them. In April I installed CCTV and caught him keying my partners car (in broad daylight).

We documented everything and handed the evidence over to the police. The police didn’t arrest him but he was asked to make a statement at the police station. When questioned he denied damaging the car, however on one occasion he put a stick on the roof of the car which I have on camera but my next door neighbour also witnessed him doing it and this he admitted to. He also denied ever spitting on my car when I have footage of this also.

A few weeks ago we received a phone call from the police who said that he attended magistrates court and pleaded not guilty and that a magistrates trial will be held in mid October as CPS feel there is enough evidence in the footage I have of him keying my partners car to convict him.

My concern here is the fact that he has caused allot of damage to both our vehicles but he is only being tried for one particular incident on one vehicle. If found guilty what is the likely penalty? Will we be compensated? Can I peruse further to claim damages?

As I have no experience in law I’m not sure what to expect, also my partner was the one who made the statement so she is the witness and may have to give evidence this makes her very anxious facing him in court.

Any help would be warmly received.

Mat
    Tags: None

Have you not been sent a MG19 compensation claim form? If not ask the police.

You have to fill it in and send it with evidence of your costs to the address given.
    Should he be found guilty the prosecutor should apply for compensation at the hearing.
    Magistrates put paying compensation before fines etc but if the culprit is on benefits it will come in dribs and drabs.

Comment

Yes we did fill a MG19 form from the police officer who came to the house but we submitted no evidence of cost so i will have to look into that. As for my neighbour he and his wife work decent jobs and i know he earns a decent pay.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X