• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Just for fun to anyone old enough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for fun to anyone old enough

This is for fun but is there anyone out there that can answerer this?

In the UK around about the mid 1970s there was a program called That's Life. Headed by a BBC TV presenter Esther Ransen. Somewhere in the north of England a man was annoyed that the council would not empty his bins. He decided to take revenge by withholding what he believed to be the amount of money for the bin collections. A year later he is held to account for not paying his council tax.

He goes to a fish monger and buys a plaice. He paints it to look like a cheque and posts it to the council. As a valid document the council had to process the rotten fish and take it to the bank who had to store it for up to 6 years.

When Esther Ransen told the story on national TV, thousands of people did the same thing. An urgent act of parliament was created Making it illegal to send rotting fish through the post as cheques.

Anyone out there that can uncover this?
    Tags: None

https://www.home.barclays/news/2016/...he-cheque.html

3/4 of the page down is what I think you are referring to. This is the only thing I can find on what you are suggesting.

Cheques are regulated by the Bills of Exchange Act 1882 and the Cheques Act 1957.

I couldn't see anything on the face of it in that legislation which suggests an emergency act of parliament was passed. Do you know if it amended one of those Acts or was it an entirely separate act, and perhaps what year it was enacted?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X