• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ancillary relief order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancillary relief order

I have an ancillary relief order that is now 20 years old, which states an amount is payable upon the sale of the former matrimonial home.
    As my ex wife still resides in this home, and therefore, not been sold, I have 2 questions...
    Can I enforce this order, given the duration of time I have waited?
    If this is not possible, how can I ensure that payment will be made should she pass away, or if I were to pass before her?
    NB. As I had no funds for a solicitor, the order was not charged to the land registry at the time.
    Tags: None

To answer that, it will be necessary to consider the exact wording of the order.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your reply, the order states.......... "By consent, it is ordered that...
      4. The applicant to pay the respondant a sum of £..... upon sale of the former matrimonial home, such sum to be increased in line with the Retail Prices Index from this date hereof until payment date.
      9. Clean break in life and in death.
      This is the exact wording of the order. The other items are no longer relevant.

Comment

In whose name is the title to the property registered?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

It is registered in the applicant's name - my former wife!

Comment

Have you had any communication with her about this?

Are there any charges registered?

Sorry to keep asking questions. I think you probably need to take legal advice on the best way to secure your position. There is a good deal of information to be gathered to enable the best advice to be formulated.

Comment

No, unfortunately not. We did not part on good terms, so an amicable arrangement would be out of the question. I do not wish to harass her about it, but I would like to get this settled as my health is declining and patience is wearing slightly thin.

Comment

There are no charges on the property, no mortgages or anything, as far as I could ascertain from doing a land registry search.
                I was hoping that I would not have to go down that route, as the amount is not large and would potentially be swallowed up in legal costs, which is why I posted here.

Comment

Well, you could try communication, trying to agree an amount to be paid, perhaps over a period of time. If, as you say, the amount is not large, this might work.

Comment

The sum is relatively small (very low five figures), but this option would not be well received.
                    Is it possible to attach the court order to the title of the property, via the land registry, for enforcement, should she pass?

Comment

I have judt found out the property has now been sold, so the question now is how do I enforce this court order. Do I have to go to the court to get it enforced?

Comment

Oh dear. When was it sold?

Comment

Originally posted by Dteveb58 View Post
                          The sum is relatively small (very low five figures),
                          Before or after adjusting for inflation using the RPI? 20 years of RPI inflation will more or less double the original amount specified in the Order.

All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

It was sold in September this year.

Comment

Then you need to trace the lady so that you can request payment, and if necessary take enforcement action.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X