• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help! Arrested for assault / reasonable chastisement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Arrested for assault / reasonable chastisement

Morning,

I've recently split from my wife and its been less than amicable. At Christmas my 7 year old was playing up at bed time and wouldn't get dressed. I tried to help her get dressed and she nipped me, so I nipped her back to say to her that it hurts. Without intention to hurt her I've nipped her quite hard or caught the skin just in the wrong way that it left a bruise.
    I did't see the bruise as she got herself dressed the day after and when they returned home to there mum she has assumed the worse and sent an email to the school to make them aware and asked for the correct procedures to be followed - safe guarding, social services, police complaint etc. I couldn't respond to any messages of what had happened as I was working.

Some days later I was called by social services and told to keep away from the kids. Next week a chap came to see me and recommended I had supervised contact until police had talked to me. He said they'd invite me down for a voluntary interview. Turns out my ex had been sending in pics of other bruises that were unexplained on the kids over the past few years (never asked me about them!) so in the end I was arrested on two counts of assault and processed into the cells etc before interview. I claimed reasonable chastisement as a teaching point and declined any wrong doing/ involvement on the other assault count and pictures of bruises They ceased my phone too.

A week later they came and said they'd like to offer me a police caution as a resolution.

So my job requires me to have a DBS check. I've been advised a caution wouldn't affect my job, but a conviction in court would. Likewise social services wouldn't be happy if I dragged this to court and it wouldn't look good on me.

I'd like to clear my name and claim chastisement, but the job side is too risky.
    My concern that is if I now have a caution to my name, should my children ever be bruised or anything again, all innocently, if my ex rang the police is it putting me in a lot more trouble!? Is there anything I can do to alleviate any further issues?

P.s
    On the job front, if anything were to change and a caution would affect my position, is it possible to have something drafted up by a solicitor to explain the reasoning behind me accepting the caution rather than fighting it?

Thanks
    Barry
    Tags: None

I'm happy to be corrected but I believe a caution is an admittance of guilt and will appear on PNC and a DBS check. Don't admit it until someone comes along to advise further.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X