• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Divorce by default - is there such a thing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce by default - is there such a thing?

I'm posting this for a friend of a friend, who has been going through divorce proceedings for a long time! Her hubby's solicitor has repeatedly sent her divorce papers which she has so far refused to acknowledge or sign. She has been given an ultimatum, basically if she still refuses to sign them then the divorce will go ahead without her agreement. Is this possible? If so, what would be the criteria for someone to be able to get divorced when the other side refuses to co-operate?
    Tags: None

Re: Divorce by default - is there such a thing?

Not sure of the exact rules FP but pretty certain that it will go ahead - will find out more for you over next couple of days but divorce is now no-blame and fairly equitable (in theory) as to outcome. I think if there are no urgent grounds the 2 - year rule still applies. Hope and trust that, as usual, a more knowledgeable Beagle will be along shortly to clarify/correct this! x

Comment

Have you seen this?

http://www.divorce-guide.co.uk/

Comment

I just signed straight away to get rid of my ex.

Comment

He can apply for a divorce without her consent after 5 years' separation.

Comment

The 5 year rule was my understanding as well

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
              He can apply for a divorce without her consent after 5 years' separation.
              Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              The 5 year rule was my understanding as well
              Taken from my link above:

Separated for Two or Five Years

Separated for two years
              A court will accept a separation of a period of two years or more* as proof of the irretrievable breakdown of your marriage if both you and your partner agree to the divorce.
              *The period of two years will still be considered to be continuous if you have lived together for up to six months during that time.

Separated for five years
              It is possible to apply for a divorce without your partner's agreement if you and your partner have been separated for a period of five years or more. Your partner can contest the divorce on the grounds that it would cause unreasonable hardship but it is unlikely that this will be considered grounds to refuse the divorce.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X