• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pension sharing order amendment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pension sharing order amendment

We are screwed. I think. But hope not. My ex wife and I remain quite amicable now we are divorced. It was agreed beforehand that there would be a pension sharing and the court has issued that consent order. Trouble is it now appears that due to incorrect advice we have selected a pension that will be subject to HMRC tax at something like 40%. This is because she now lives overseas and we need a QROPS compliant scheme and the selected pension does not appear to be that.

Given that my ex wife and I have agreed a pension share, is there any chance we could either get the consent order to reference a different pension ( I have two) but at the same numerical value or even apply for a new order? What happens if we choose not to comply with the order and try to make the share another way. I just hate the idea that my ex will now lose around 40% of what I was going to give her. This is a nightmare. Any help or advise very much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

In principle you can keep a proper audit chain of correspondence and vary the order as between yourselves.
    It is however a properly technical query and the answer depends upon areas of knowledge I have no access to so I think (unless someon epops up here) you need proper direct advice.
    Plaudit for trying to do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
      In principle you can keep a proper audit chain of correspondence and vary the order as between yourselves.
      It is however a properly technical query and the answer depends upon areas of knowledge I have no access to so I think (unless someon epops up here) you need proper direct advice.
      Plaudit for trying to do the right thing.
      Thanks. I think you're right that I need proper advice. I just don't yet know where to find it.

In essence, my wife and I agreed a share. Through ignorance and poor advice we made a wrong choice with the pension and we should have agreed to share the other one I have as it is with a different provider and is compliant. However, we now have a consent order that will be totally unfair as most of the transfer credit will be taxed. Not the fair objective of any of us incuding the examining judge.

I need to get the order changed or find another way. I'm desperate for help. I could say it doesn't matter because it will only affect my ex but I'm not like that.

Comment

I suggest a good financial adviser.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X