• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

advice on financial agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on financial agreement

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I hope I can get some perspective on where I stand as I really am venturing into the unknown. I separated from my husband 3 years ago next month. We have 2 children aged 13 and 16, both in full time education. On splitting up I left the marital home as my husband refused to leave and the situation had become unbearable for both myself and our children. We had purchased the house the previous year as a 'doer upper' as my ex is a builder. We paid £90,000 cash. Neither of us have any other assets. I have been paying £750 a month rents since leaving and his maintenance payments have reflected the fact that he has no mortgage or rent. This was agreed when I left. I now want to get divorced and I need to put a plan in place to get my half of the house. I only want the £45k I put in as this seems only fair. Can I get divorced first, or do I need to get a financial agreement in place? I have no idea where to start but I do know that as soon as I start proceedings my ex will make things exceptionally difficult. However, this is a step I need to take to move forward with my life.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Tags: None

When the divorce is arranged it is usually agreed on what financial split is agreed, but a divorce solicitor would be your best step next. There are many good divorce solicitors, bot male and female, so shop around and remember that most solicitors will be prepared to hold a no charge initial meeting to discuss your position before you appoint then so you have a fair chance of feeling comfortable with whoever you instruct. If you are able to agree a financial settlement before the divorce, then the costs will be much lower, but this is not always the case. Don't forget the pension split as well, as this is also a part of divorce. Good luck

Comment

agree at the time (save as to cost)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X