• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex husband trying to make my life hell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex husband trying to make my life hell

Hi, not sure if anyone can please help.
    I told my ex back in March that I no longer loved him. He emotionally abused me and I have had to keep him on side to stop him from constantly abusing me.

I moved out of the family home in June and filed for divorce in July. Our 3 daughters live with me, whilst our son lives with him. I have had the police at my home 3 times due to his harrassment and threats. I have started a new relationship and he hasn't taken this well.
    He agreed to the divorce but not the reasons. The decree nisi is to be announced next Tuesday, but he now tells me that he has submitted a defence for adultery!!!!

This is now causing me so much stress and anxiety. I have had non stop text messages after telling him to leave me alone. Will I now have to attend court because of this?

Thank you
    Tags: None

Hi SARAHCT231

Try not to worry.

Can't answer directly here's some information -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/fa...your-marriage/

https://familylawandmediation.co.uk/...-get-divorced/

Also some hearings I believe are being held via technology because of the virus.

Comment

Hello there.

I am very sorry to hear about your situation.

I assume you are divorcing upon the ground for unreasonable behaviour. As the police have been involved you have a strong case to back up your ground for divorce. Your ex partner must have proof of adultery. Evidence is everything and given by what you have wrote above, he has non.

Firstly, I would try asking the other party (or their Solicitors) to amend the particulars (via email for proof). You can then agree what should and what should not be included. If the other party is represented by a Solicitor then they should have sent a draft Petition to you before it is filed at Court and then the allegations can be agreed beforehand.

However if nothing can be agreed then yes it will go to court where your ex partner will be expected to show proof of adultery.

Hope this helps.
      ULA Celestine
      I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

Thank you both.

I thought once a date was set for the decree nisi and he had agreed to the divorce, nothing could be changed. I take it I'm wrong with that?!

Comment

Originally posted by sarahct231 View Post
          Thank you both.

I thought once a date was set for the decree nisi and he had agreed to the divorce, nothing could be changed. I take it I'm wrong with that?!
          Have you checked with the court to see if he has 'submitted a defence for adultery'?

Comment

I'm going to call them when they open at 8am, but have an email to reassure me that he can't stop the divorce.

Luckily, we have no assets to split between us. He actually had sex with another woman the day after I filed for divorce!! He doesn't want to pay half of the court costs and I think this is his way of trying to get around it.

Comment

He has submitted a defence, but has sent it to the wrong place, which will now delay it being seen.
              They said it's quite late in the proceedings to submit one so to just sit tight

Comment

Keep a diary of events, dates / reasons for calling the police, the dates of text messages / what was said etc.

The stuff he is doing is designed to cause you stress and anxiety. Do stuff that keeps you calm when you feel stressed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X