• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Protecting my share of equity in property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting my share of equity in property

Hi, I'm writing on behalf of a dear friend. Her and her husband have sold their house and are due to move to a new property very soon. Contracts are about to be exchanged, although not signed yet. There is equity in their current property. She has not financially contributed to the mortgage of bills for the last 6 years. Mortgage for new property is in husbands name only and therefore her name will not be on the Deeds of the new property. How can she move forward ensuring that she protects her equity going forward? A Trust Deed has been mentioned. If she were to Divorce her husband going forward would she be entitled to half of all assets even though she has not contributed financially for the last few years? prior to 2013 she at times earned more than her husband and contributed quite significantly. Would it go against her if she set up the Trust Deed now if she then later divorced her husband?*
    Tags: None

If the property is used as the family home, both parties have an interest or right to the house when going through a divorce. However, there is no set formula for how the assets, including the house, shall be divided. It depends on the situation and circumstances of each case but factors such as the age of both parties, earning capacity, length of marriage, past and future financial contributions and the needs of both parties, will be considered when dividing the assets. As you friend is not on the deeds of the new house, the most important thing she can do now is register her home rights with the land registry, this means that the property can’t be sold, transferred or mortgaged without her knowledge. If a Trust Deed is created I would advise that you consult a solicitor to draft it because the intention needs to be absolutely certain, otherwise there is a chance that it could be deemed a sham in divorce proceedings, to prevent one party having access to the assets.
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X