• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ex buying new property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ex buying new property

    So me and my ex split 6 years ago, we own a property together and pay half the mortgage each. We have two children together one was 10years and the other 14 years when we split, so our verbal agreement was I stay in the property until the youngest is 18 years old, she's 16 now,. I have just heard that my ex and new partner are buying their property, I'm assuming he will Want to sell the property we own together to support this. I'm not in the financial potion to buy him out yet as when he left he left alot of debt with me, but when my youngest is 18 I'll be in the position to buy him out. Is there a legal way of staying in the property till this time.
    thank you in advance
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Unfortunately, there is no way that I can think of that some type of prohibition order can be obtained absent any step being taken by the "other owner" to liquidate the asset.

    Were you married or cohabiting?


    • #3
      You may find that as your youngest is 16 then you will be allowed to stay in the house until she finishes full time secondary education. That may give you the breathing space you need


      • #4
        As someone once said " a verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on"

        One scenario that you seem not to have thought of, is that your "ex" simply stops paying his (I assume he is male) half of the mortgage today with the consequence that the mortgage falls into arrears, the mortgagee takes possession, sells the property, and the residue, if any, is split between the mortgagors.

        As you would then be homeless, but with a child, the council would have a duty to put a roof over your heads.
        Last edited by efpom; 12th September 2019, 07:39:AM.


        View our Terms and Conditions

        LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

        If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

        If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




        Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site, JustBeagle...

        justbeagle screenshot

        Find a Law Firm NOW

        See more
        See less

        Court Claim ?

        Guides and Letters

        Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

        Find a Law Firm