• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CGT question on family home, post divorce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGT question on family home, post divorce

Hi all

newb here, advice needed!

I have a very specific question about CGT and divorce I'm hoping for some help with understanding....
    • Mr E and Ms A bought a house together in 2001 for £355k
    • They took out a £200k int-only mortgage
    • Mr E and Ms A then immediately spent £100k on significant improvements to the house
    • They are joint owners of the house on a 50:50 basis
    • Mr E and Ms A separated in Dec 2015, at which point the house was worth £750k
    • Ms A was allowed to remain living in the family house with the children. Mr E moved out
    • As part of their divorce settlement, Ms A agreed to pay half of the CGT liability when it arose
    • Currently the house is worth £800k. They still have the int-only mortgage of £200k. Ms A is thinking of selling
    The question is: If the house was sold now for £800k, what would Mr E's CGT liability be? (assume he has full allowance available to him)

thanks in advance for any help you can offer
    Last edited by benF; 14th February 2019, 17:38:PM.
    Tags: cgt, money

When you say 'joint owners of the house on a 50:50 basis' is there a declaration of trust and the house is owned as tenants in common with shares of 50/50 ? or is it owned as joint beneficial tenants and you've just agreed between yourselves during the divorce to a 50/50 split ? (check on land registry if you aren't certain) ... and when Ms A sells will Mr E get 50% of the equity in the property ?

Oh, and does Mr E own his own property as his main residence?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

the house is owned as tenants in common with shares of 50/50. When Ms A sells, Mr E will get 50% of the equity.
      Yes, Mr E now owns another property as his main residence.

thanks in advance!

Comment

Mr E lived there as his main residence until 2015 so theres 4 years out of 18 where CGT may be payable, so 4/18ths of the amount - you ignore the mortgage - so Mr E's share of the gain is 222500 ( 800 less 355 divided 50/50 )- so he'd pay CGT on around £49444 (4/18ths), assuming a £50k income it'd be taxed at 28% so CGT would be near £11k, income of £25k pa CGT would be near £9k ( as half would be at 18% rather than 28% ) and so Mr E would have to pay something between £4k - £6k ( due to the agreement Ms A pays half the CGT )

Whether the £100k improvements are allowed is a matter of what they are and if they added to the house value, if they are ( like an extension / garage / loft conversion etc ) then that would reduce things, as would the estate agents costs, stamp duty etc, so £6k should be the max.

Lets guess £75k was allowable and £25k was just faff ... reduces Mr E share of gain to £41108 so half the CGT would be £3k - £4.2k depending on income.

Does that help at all ? I know my maths explaining isn't brilliant...you'd be best getting an accountant to get exact figures and rules set down but as a guide, it should be a max of £6k liability to Mr E if Ms A pays half.

There is some guidance on the gov website - https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-property/work-out-your-gain

Just ran through the gov.uk calc... it's pretty good for a guide.

Back English | Cymraeg

£8,237.60

Capital Gains Tax to pay for the 2018 to 2019 tax year

How we've worked this out

Your total gain

Value when you sold the property
        £400,000

Minus the value of the property when you acquired it
        £177,500

Minus all costs, including improvements
        £37,502

Total gain
        £184,998

Your deductions

Reliefs used ( 14 yrs - relief when Mr E lived there as main residence )
        £143,878

Capital Gains Tax Annual Exempt Amount used
        £11,700

Total deductions
        £155,578

Your taxable gain

Total gain
        £184,998

Minus deductions
        £155,578

Taxable gain
        £29,420

Your tax rate

These rates are based on your Income Tax bands:

£29,420 taxable gain multiplied by 28% tax rate
        £8,237.60

Tax to pay
        £8,237.60

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

thank you Amethyst that is incredibly helpful!

Comment

Check the math but principles should be right xxx I think it might be less than Mr E thought it would be ( it's less than I thought it might be anyway )
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X