• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

We wanna do different things...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We wanna do different things...

Because I have been ill for 20+ yrs my wife has finally had enough and wants me to go. No surprise as I nearly 3 times this year because of crazy intolerance's to food. Needless to say the NHS caused it, and they just ignore pleas for help. Poor thing can't cope.
    I want to move to a clean air location but as you can understand I have little or no money myself as I have been on benefits for the last 9 years.
    Total assets including her pension (obviously I don't have one) are fair. I have explained to her I have no desire to encroach on her pension which I have amassed to a fair amount that she could actually retire soon. But, I have explained to her that her pension is the best thing going and she needs to keep investing in it.

The amount I have asked of her is BBBBB amount and to be paid over a 15 year term at YYY amount per month. It's really fair on her as I get less than a third of total and also there in no pay up front and get a 2nd mortgage which she could ill afford. Question is is this a legal solution and would the benefits system see that as an income. If it is seen as an income then I would surely die within a few months as I would not have enough to live on as my condition asks for expensive food that all benefits people well know they cannot afford. A lump sum would be nice but they would also whittle away at it and my wife would not be able to keep her present 1 bed home, that has no great value in Wales.

What a life eh!
    Tags: None

Do spousal maintenance payments count against universal credit? Yes, is the simple answer. You lose UC pound for pound.

If you get capital from the divorce that you use to buy a home, that will not count against your benefits (although your benefits may be lower as a result).

Comment

wtf. So because I'm getting a divorce my entitlements are no longer entitlements.. I'd rather just let her have it all! Totally unfair society. I'm the one whose sick here she's spent so much money keeping me going. Maybe it's about time I let the state pay for my illness. See how that fairs with everybody who thinks the sick should just die out of the way!

Comment

It depends on which benefits you receive as some are not means-tested so any income you receive will not affect those. Personal Independence Payment is not means-tested for example so would be unaffected.

Comment

Originally posted by MumboJumbo View Post
          wtf. So because I'm getting a divorce my entitlements are no longer entitlements.. I'd rather just let her have it all! Totally unfair society. I'm the one whose sick here she's spent so much money keeping me going. Maybe it's about time I let the state pay for my illness. See how that fairs with everybody who thinks the sick should just die out of the way!

Do benefits have deliberate deprivation rules, so you could get penalised if you pass up the opportunity of a divorce settlement? Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post

Do benefits have deliberate deprivation rules, so you could get penalised if you pass up the opportunity of a divorce settlement? Just asking.
            Cool see how long that will fair when they find me in hospital or dead. The government will get blamed for a sheer idiotic measure. I'll take a divorce settlement of £1000 and buy a very special bottle of booze and blow all in 1 go! That sounds good. All I'm hearing is unfair semantics for people who have built up a little. I don't legally have anything except £1650 +or-, I've never earned anything in the last 9 years. I have allowed my wife to spend over £20000+ (Private healthcare and other various useless things like acupuncture) trying to help me. I'm sorry but i'm so mad at this. I will not survive without someones support. It's not about the money it's about survival. I want to be able to live on my own and leave her from all the crying and depression she is suffering. It's wrong for me to be a burden to one person. Society should take the reigns if not euthanasia should be legal! I forgot to say, it's not enough to buy half a house!

Comment

You are right that it's illegal for you to try to commit suicide, but I have not heard of anyone being prosecuted for that in my lifetime.

Euthanasia is only really an issue for people who are too far gone to do themselves in. Assisting suicide in this country is still a crime, but not by any means always prosecuted. You can read the CPS guidelines here: https://www.cps.gov.uk/publication/assisted-suicide

I suspect that you are over-worrying about your ability to get by following divorce. If you have major health issues, the NHS may have an obligation to look after you or at least contribute to your care. The care provided is likely to be evidence-based, though.

"I will not survive without someones support. It's not about the money it's about survival. I want to be able to live on my own ..."
              I'm a bit perplexed what you mean by that?

Finally, yes, you are absolutely right that you need to consider in advance your benefit and care position post-divorce, which is of course what you are doing by asking here. However, it's probably not as simple as leaving all the assets in your wife's name and getting her to give you a bit each month. Otherwise, we'd all be doing it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X