• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Separated 20 years, but house in joint names.Could he claim a share of sale proceeds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separated 20 years, but house in joint names.Could he claim a share of sale proceeds?

My friend has been separated from her husband for 20 years but house is still in their joint names, but he said when he left the house was hers and he wouldn't claim. My friend has paid the mortgage throughout and now wants to sell, but could her hubby decide he now wants a share of the proceeds? If so, could she by the same token claim a portion of his assets? She does plan to divorce him once she's sorted out the finances, but wants to avoid solicitor costs. Thanks very much in advance for any comments/suggestions.
    Tags: None

did she get it in writing???

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
      did she get it in writing???
      No, it was just a verbal agreement/conversation before he left. Thanks.

Comment

Parties who separate after marriage either a short marriage or long marriage and they agreed between themselves that no claim will be made on the house, savings, investment, pensions etc, is only an agreement and cannot be enforced because it needs the seal of the courts. This is why is so important that after separation, the agreement is inserted into a consent order for the seal of the courts. If this has been done, there will not be a worry after 20 yrs because you have closed the back door. He could still make a claim but this needs to be negotiated between them. He will not be entitled to 50% as your friend should be compensated for paying the mortgage for 20 yrs. Any questions, come back to me.
        Although I am a family lawyer, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you. Do not forget to update us on your case. Good luck

I work in Coventry on Mondays and Thursdays and Stevenage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by SandraF View Post
          Parties who separate after marriage either a short marriage or long marriage and they agreed between themselves that no claim will be made on the house, savings, investment, pensions etc, is only an agreement and cannot be enforced because it needs the seal of the courts. This is why is so important that after separation, the agreement is inserted into a consent order for the seal of the courts. If this has been done, there will not be a worry after 20 yrs because you have closed the back door. He could still make a claim but this needs to be negotiated between them. He will not be entitled to 50% as your friend should be compensated for paying the mortgage for 20 yrs. Any questions, come back to me.

I use to pay a mortgage and always did, but the OH paid one and I ended up out of pocket on the split (i was the innocent party to) they had more than my share

Comment

Originally posted by SandraF View Post
            Thank you for taking the time to reply. He left her for someone else and so he may have just said this to get what he wanted. Time will tell. Yes, in hindsight she wishes she'd had it put in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post

I use to pay a mortgage and always did, but the OH paid one and I ended up out of pocket on the split (i was the innocent party to) they had more than my share
              Sorry to hear that. A big blow. Not sure what will happen with my friend. Indecent behaviour often pays, sadly.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X