• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pension Sharing Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pension Sharing Order

I have a Pension Sharing Order on a Final Salary Pension I had with a company that closed in 2007.

The financial settlement at the time of my divorce included giving my ex 50% of all my pensions which was converted into 58% of the final salary pension which, at the time, represented a value equivalent to 50% of the CETVs of the pensions I had at the time.

The divorce was complete in 2012. For whatever reason it appears my pension was never given the pension sharing order.

Now the CETV is around two and a half times what it was in 2012. As I am able to take 25% of my pension tax free and need to do so to pay long outstanding debts, To do this I need to move the pension.and need to get this resolved to be able to facilitate it first. When the details such as we had were passed over to the pension administrators, they declared the detail was not sufficient enough to allow them to proceed with the PSO.

As a result I have many questions...

Do we need to get the court to re submit the PSO with the complete information required?

How do the actuaries work out the split? As the pension is subject to growth guarantees in the future, is there a danger the CETV applied to the pension could be reduced accordingly becasue the calculation of what was required to account for future earnings reduces as a result of her share being taken out?

The pension will charge around £2k for the admin involved. Does this mean the actual split of the pension is not as straighforward as applying the respective percentager to the CETV. If not, which of us would likely get the benefit?

As it is some years until my ex can access her 25%, she is open to the idea of setting aside the current pension sharing order (if possible) and negotiating a lower percentage of the CETV as pension together with a lumop sum of cash? Does this sound feasible? Would it be possible to move some of the pension to another pension pot that we then get a PSO for as 100% in her favour?

I know this is a lot of questions! . If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!
    Tags: None

Hi Sunday morning, normally the solicitors/lawyers involved in this case, will write to the pension administrators giving them the draft of the pension Annexe to view before it is posted to the courts. The reason for this, is to avoid the situation you are in now, i.e. that the details on the form are incorrect that the pension department are unable to implement it.

You can do the following, write to the court advising that the details on the pension form are not correct, (check the consent order as well) and the pension form will need to be re-sealed by the court. This will enable the pension dept to be able to implement the PSO. good luck
    Although I am a family lawyer, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you. Do not forget to update us on your case. Good luck

I work in Coventry on Mondays and Thursdays and Stevenage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by SandraF View Post
      Hi Sunday morning, normally the solicitors/lawyers involved in this case, will write to the pension administrators giving them the draft of the pension Annexe to view before it is posted to the courts. The reason for this, is to avoid the situation you are in now, i.e. that the details on the form are incorrect that the pension department are unable to implement it.

You can do the following, write to the court advising that the details on the pension form are not correct, (check the consent order as well) and the pension form will need to be re-sealed by the court. This will enable the pension dept to be able to implement the PSO. good luck
      Thanks Sandra. Do you know if the fact that the CETV has risen significantly in the six years that have elapsed since the PSO was established would make any difference to how it was divided up now?

Comment

No, it would not unless he/she reapply for reconsideration of the PSO, and he/she would need to give exceptional reasons why the first Order should be discharged. Good luck
        Although I am a family lawyer, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you. Do not forget to update us on your case. Good luck

I work in Coventry on Mondays and Thursdays and Stevenage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Comment

Thanks again Sandra. Seems unlikely she would complain! Because the pension sharing order has not been enacted, she has been the only one to benefit. If her pension had been taken out at the time, I doubt if there is any other pension fund she would have moved it to at the time that would have grown so fast because the guarantees that exist with my pension would not have applied to one she set up to take her share of the money.

Although I don't myself benefit or lose out if the split is the same, it does seem odd that she is still entitled to 58% of the growth in the CETV that has occured since the divorce. For my part, the fact the PSO hasbn't been actioned all this time (which to be honest i wasn't aware of until last year) has meant that I have been unable to secure access to my 25% tax free, money I have needed to pay off debts. This may shortly come to cost me my jobs as I had promised my work I could satisfy CCJs currently against me by securing this money, yet the impasse over the PSO not being enacted has prevented me from doing so, and my company's patience has finally run out

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X