• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unfair buy-out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair buy-out?

Hi.
    I left my ex-partner over 2 years ago, moving out of the family home, taking the kids with me. We currently still hold a joint mortgage on the house, and he lives there to this day, whereas I rent a house for myself and the children.
    He finally wants to buy me out.
    He had the house valued and we know how much mortgage was outstanding at the time I moved out.
    I'd be happy to receive half the difference.
    Now he says he wants to give me £8k less than my half (£18k rather than £26k) because I failed to find a job that paid well enough fast enough after having the children. It had been a mutual decision to have the children and for me to initially stay at home with them. I struggled with depression and ended up doing voluntary work to build my confidence, although I had also been working in various occasional and part-time jobs, which always had to fit around the kids' school times.
    We were never married and never signed any form of agreement or contract other than the joint mortgage papers.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of situation? Is he being as outrageous as I feel he is? Would he stand a chance if it went to court? Can I somehow bill him for rent on my half of the house, since he's lived there whilst I had to rent elsewhere?
    Before going in guns blazing, I want to gauge the likely outcome.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Hi Auntanteater how is your case going, please let us know if you require any further advice
    Although I am a family lawyer, any advice given on this forum should be taken as guidance only and should not be applied to your specific circumstances. If you are uncertain as to your legal rights, I recommend that you seek independent legal advice from a lawyer local to you. Do not forget to update us on your case. Good luck

I work in Coventry on Mondays and Thursdays and Stevenage on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X