• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. Please register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
  • Please note that LegalBeagles is a public forum and the main areas are accessible to all, and as such, please take care your username or posts do not identify you. There is no need to post claim numbers, names or precise amounts to get support with your case. When uploading documents please ensure that you have properly redacted your personal details. Thank you.

Living Together

This thread is closed.
Important !
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Living Together


    Many couples are choosing to live together instead of marrying. However, there is NO such thing as Common Law Marriage. The law does not provide any special protection for a 'Common Law' partner although if there are dependant children they will be entitled to financial help.

    In England and Wales 'Common Law' marriage was abolished over 250 years ago. A woman whose cohabitation ends is usually in a much worse position legally than her married sister on divorce. This is not the case in Scotland where a long term cohabiting couple are treated as 'married by custom and repute'.

    There are three main areas where a cohabitant is at a disadvantage:

    1. She cannot claim maintenance for herself ( although she can claim for her children)
    2. She has fewer rights to the family home (unless she is the joint/owner) she can be evicted by her partner. She can only exceptionally claim a share in the value of the home if it is owned by the man. She may be able to secure use of the family home until her children complete F/T education, but the home will then revert to the father. By contrast a married woman would be able to claim either the home or a large part of the equity.
    3. Unless the man has made provision for her in his will, she will receive nothing under the rules of intestacy and will only be able to make a claim if she can prove that she was dependent on him.

    On the other hand, unmarried fathers are in a far weaker position than mothers regarding their children. Until recently, unless the parents were married at the time of the childs birth, the mother would gain sole parental responsibility (PR) for the children, which enables her to make all decisions relating to schooling, medical treatment, travel abroad etc without reference to the father. However, if the father registers the childs birth with the mother, he now has equal PR. A welcome and long overdue change. Fathers without PR are NOT relieved from their financial obligations to the children however
    “We may not win by protesting, but if we don’t protest we will lose. If we stand up to them, there is always a chance we will win.” Hetty Bower

    Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

    If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

    Find Solicitors offering fixed fees on our sister site - JustBeagle.com

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.




Find family law specialists that offer fixed fee services on our sister site;
justbeagle logo

Fixed fees for Divorce or Dissolution of your Civil Partnership will vary depending on whether you are the Petitioner (issuing the Divorce Petition) or the Respondent (you received Divorce Petition).

The fixed fees may be available for the whole process or as packaged fees to deal with different stages of the divorce including preparing the divorce petition.
See more
See less

upgrade to vip

Want exclusive access to forums, more privacy and a live chat box? Upgrade to become a bigger part of our community.

only £15/yr

Offers available. No subscription traps.

sign up now

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm