• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Power of Attorney - being hounded.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power of Attorney - being hounded.

I strongly agree with 'righty'.
    Your wish to demonstrate your honesty, transparency, integrity or whatever is a commendable response to such agressive intrusion, but the over-riding principle of a PoA is that everything you decide would be informed by the best interests of the subject. A duty of confidentiality will probably not be referred to in your PoA explicitly, confidentiality tends to be sustained through Common Law principles, though there is explicit reference in the Guidance attached to the empowering Act (Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000) which clarifies that an Attorney has been placed in a position of trust by the Sheriff to exercise a 'fiduciary duty'to the subject. That may be the key phrase to your obligations, fiduciary duty requires you to maintain the subject's confidentiality.

Equally, the wording of your PoA probably does not explicitly authorise you to discuss the subject's affairs with others.

I hope that you do not find yourself moving towards a legal dispute, however, as there are other requrements of the Act (in S.2) with which you may struggle to comply if there was to be a challenge: e.g. annual accounts; acruing interest on cash over £500; an inventory, etc. But as long as you hadn't used any of the subject's assets for your own gain, then I'd be astonished if there was any worse outcome than a waste of time.
    Sadly, there is little by way of remedy available to you. In England, an Injunction would be an expensive but appropriate response, but the Scottish Interdict is not a simple equivalent.

I do have some experience of the Scottish Continuing Power of Attorney (PoA).
    Hope this helps.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X