• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can we open a will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we open a will

Hi, my motherinlaw is in hospital, and they are saying that she can not return to her council flat, as she will need 24hr/ 7 days a week care, so she will have to go into a home of some sorts , but that means that we will have to clear her flat out, but she has a will, and we think she has left certain things to friends etc, but as there is the will we cant open it , any ideas how we stand on this ?. Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Can we open a will

Hi,......best advice I can give..........ask a solicitor,,

Comment

Originally posted by moodys View Post
      Hi, my motherinlaw is in hospital, and they are saying that she can not return to her council flat, as she will need 24hr/ 7 days a week care, so she will have to go into a home of some sorts , but that means that we will have to clear her flat out, but she has a will, and we think she has left certain things to friends etc, but as there is the will we cant open it , any ideas how we stand on this ?. Thanks.
      No, you may not open it. Nor may you start distributing her property. To do so would be theft. Whilst she remains mentally capable, and you do not possess Power of Attorney, you must consult her with regard to the disposal of her property.

Comment

A will is someones wishes after they have died,before that they make the decisions unless as stated by enquirer a power of attorney has been obtained

Comment

I am in such a position myself and both my sister and I are in the process of registering an Enduring Power of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG).

What the others have said in this thread is correct. Seek advice from a legal professional where doubt exists.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
            No, you may not open it. Nor may you start distributing her property. To do so would be theft. Whilst she remains mentally capable, and you do not possess Power of Attorney, you must consult her with regard to the disposal of her property.
            Not legally anyway.
            But you'd be surprised how often family heirlooms 'go astray'.......................
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
              Not legally anyway.
              But you'd be surprised how often family heirlooms 'go astray'.......................
              Indeed you would. That is a very true comment Charity.

Comment

Do you know who the Executors are?
                Maybe get them in and do a complete itinery of what is in the property and get them to sign it.
                It all sounds awful but,like others,I've been there and the vultures soon start swooping

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                  But you'd be surprised how often family heirlooms 'go astray'...
                  They will in the case of my rotten family.

My executors aren't relatives but my friends. They have been briefed on how my family refused to help at a time when I needed a small loan to ease me through a spot of financial hardship, so they'll know they are to give those rapacious creeps precisely nothing. The family photographs, antiques and Victorian bling are all to go to the local museum, whilst my personal and real estate will be divided where it may do some good.

Comment

Originally posted by moodys View Post
                    Might be best to put everything in storage.:beagle:

Comment

have a will that says If you can find it you can ave it

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
                        Might be best to put everything in storage.:beagle:
                        I know of a case where, during the funeral, some toerag went back to the house (where the wake was to be held), & 'lifted' the valuables!
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I have already given the jewellery I wanted to bequeath to folks to them.
                          My will simply says : ALL TO MY SON.

Comment

I haven't got anything to give away!

Are you allowed to bequeath your wife and daughter?

Comment

thanks inca, the executors are my wife (her daughter) and her brother. but i think we will still need to get legal advice.. thanks again...

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X