• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Thrown out with nothing!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrown out with nothing!!!!

hi guys new on here so be kind,

where to start, my uncle has been thrown out of his home by my aunty, the property is a joint tenancy and basically he's a poorly man, he suffers from agoraphobia and asthma.

she has said he can never go back and doesn't want to sort anything out, they have a small coach company which is all in his name, but due to his agoraphobia he cant drive, she said her reasons for throwing him out is because he is a alcoholic and abusive.

all his property is in the house and he has been more than fair with her saying she can have the business ect ect as all he wants is to go home due to his nerves, he is showing no signs of been a alcoholic and he's been here 2/3 days, i myself have been in an abusive relationship so i can comprehend that, but i sought help for him and after he refused help i left, he was an extreme case of violence also.

the question i'm asking is how does he stand with going home as she has locked the gates and he cant get in.
    the police have been involved but nothing has kicked of and the threats are coming from his sons who have said if he makes any attempt to go in the property they will kill him.
    he wont cope in any form of housing as he just has panick attacks when hes left alone and not in his own house.

she was said to have been trying to find another house but she hasnt and has sprung this on him now?

he is currently staying at my parents but he cant settle and can see him ending up in hospital!!! HELP PLEASE

best wishes

holly
    Tags: None

Re: Thrown out with nothing!!!!

Hi and to LegalBeagles..someone will pop in to help you

Comment

Is there any truth in the allegation of alcoholism and abuse? The answer may dictate what happens next.

Comment

I may be being cynical, but perhaps she has taken advice.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/...april-2013.pdf

1.1 The Legal Aid Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 (“LASPO”) governs the provision
        of legal aid from 1 April 2013. One of the key changes introduced by LASPO is that legal aid for
        most children and finance matters in private family law cases will only be available where a client
        has specific evidence in relation to domestic violence
        or child protection.

"............she said her reasons for throwing him out is because he is a alcoholic and abusive." (#1 above)
        Last edited by charitynjw; 19th June 2013, 12:21:PM.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I have no doubt that he isn't violent, he's mouthy but that's it, he does drink but again not to a level that would concern me.

its his agoraphobia that poses the issue because he won't leave the house ect ect so I feel her throwing him out is bad

ps thanks so much

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
          I may be being cynical, but perhaps she has taken advice.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/...april-2013.pdf

1.1 The Legal Aid Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 (“LASPO”) governs the provision
          of legal aid from 1 April 2013. One of the key changes introduced by LASPO is that legal aid for
          most children and finance matters in private family law cases will only be available where a client
          has specific evidence in relation to domestic violence
          or child protection.

"............she said her reasons for throwing him out is because he is a alcoholic and abusive." (#1 above)

Comment

I would observe that nobody else ever knows what someone is like in private. What your uncle may or may not do in front of you is not the same thing as what he may do when nobody but his wife is there. And people often confuse alcoholism with "getting blind drunk too often" / violence whiolst under the influence etc. I am not taking sides here - just stating the obvious.

However, it strikes me that whatever the rights and wrongs on either side, and without assuming either party to be lying - I honestly think it is unrealistic for your uncle to expect that he is just going to get to go home because he can't cope outside the home. Sorry, but that really isn't likely to be happening any time soon, if ever. He needs to see his GP about his health and state of anxiety, because that needs managing. If he isn't able to get these symptoms under control he is highly unlikely to be able to manage his situation going forward. But however reasonable he thinks it may be - he is not in the property and it is going to be very difficult and potential very messy getting back there. Clealry his sons don't want him there either - I doubt this will be easy to resolve.

Is it possible that another family member could at least collect his personal possessions as an interim arrangement?

Comment

I am truly sorry about the situation but I do have to agree with the sentiment of Eloise's post.I know he is blood but please remember there are two sides to every story.

Comment

I agree with Eloise,,first stop should be to a Dr,,and if he won't go then get a Dr to call in on him.

Has there been issues between him and his sons in the past? Boys/men tend to be very protective of Mum (at least,,my brothers were and my son is)
                Verbal abuse (I see you say he is mouthy) is sometimes actually more painful than physical abuse,,words cut very deep and you can't heal wounds you can't see.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                  I agree with Eloise,,first stop should be to a Dr,,and if he won't go then get a Dr to call in on him.

Has there been issues between him and his sons in the past? Boys/men tend to be very protective of Mum (at least,,my brothers were and my son is)
                  Verbal abuse (I see you say he is mouthy) is sometimes actually more painful than physical abuse,,words cut very deep and you can't heal wounds you can't see.
                  Yes I agree. None of this is to say that he is the party in the wrong - nobody knows what goes on in families really. Whatever has happened, whoever is "right", this is a full blown family dispute now, and trying to stop it is just too late. Something has happened and the sons have taken a side. Rightly or wrongly. But sons (and daughters) also often know more than anyone else about what may have been going on in a household for many years. The only thing his family can do to support him right now is to ensure he gets medical support for his health issues, and appropriate legal advice for the family matters.... and try to stay neutral and do what they can to calm things down and get some sort of interim settlement on the small things like possessions and sorting out some form of accommodation.

Comment

In the meantime, as the coach business is entirely in his name, it would be wise to start taking steps to secure this and any other assets, lest she start making things 'disappear'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X