• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Probate help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Probate help

Speaking from recent experience when my wife's aunt died without a will we found that all three insurance policies paid out with asking for a copy of the probate (not sure if all insurance companies would do the same), as for the bank and county council who was looking after her affairs as she was mentally disabled a certificate of probate was needed.
    We received the probate yesterday and had her bank account closed down, paid some outstanding bills to the council and then divided the left over monies between the family.
    As for the money put aside by the councils care department we still don't know how much is coming to us as it has to go to head office to be checked and finalised, it could be £20 or it could be 20k, we have no idea until the money is released.

Fingers crossed it's the latter

*EDIT* it did say on the certificate of probate that the total net value of the estate does not exceed £12k, when we filled in the forms to apply for the order of probate we estimated the total estate to be £12k.
    I'm just wondering if this is an indication of the total estates worth?
    Last edited by swifty; 8th May 2013, 23:55:PM.

Comment

In our case FIL had done nothing with MIL's stuff (she died in Feb '11)...and there was insurance policies,shares,bank accounts etc.(We thought he'd done it all,he refused to let any of us help with anything then caused a row between him and his sons so noone actually saw him for over a year,,what we didnt know was he had been diagnosed with cancer and t'was only when it was confirmed terminal did he make contact)
      When he was in the last stages (literally),it was confirmed that I was Executor and even now.....months and months later we are STILL uncovering stuff so it's a nightmare.

can I ask Cato,,Dads partner,,is she the mother of your younger siblings? You indicate a 16 yr old and Dad was with this lady for 32 years.I ask,because it could slightly move the goalposts again.

All I will say is,,if you find 45kg of sugar in a wardrobe then you are on par with me,cos we found it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
        All I will say is,,if you find 45kg of sugar in a wardrobe then you are on par with me,cos we found it lol
        When my late father's cousin died, we found a suitcase crammed to bursting with old receipts for coal and solid fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
          When my late father's cousin died, we found a suitcase crammed to bursting with old receipts for coal and solid fuel.
          Nowt as queer as folk eh Cloggy? My conservatory is still full of 'stuff to go through' FIL was a serial hoarder,we found every credit/debit/store/points card he ever had !!

Comment

It might help you if you have a look in the( Bereavement and end of life issues) in this Forum towards the bottom of the page,for some reason it was taken of the main board but if you search at the bottom you will find it,was a great help to me and others,regards Streetwise

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X