• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Force a house sale with ex partner - advice from anyone who knows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force a house sale with ex partner - advice from anyone who knows

Hi , I have a house with my ex partner , we have been split up for 2.5 years approximately, I requested we sell our house around January 2024. In March 2024 we had two offers one of 420k and one of 424k (it is up for 425k) unfortunately both of those fell through, reason unknown. So my ex offered to buy me out for a lower than market value on the basis it would be a quick buy out (quicker than any sale), I asked when he would be able to do this by he guaranteed me by the end of May 2024 he would buy me out and he would pay the mortgage and other bills until he bought me out, on the basis I gave up access and enjoyment to the property. May 2024 passed and he had not passed the affordability checks with our lender, but he said there had been an error with payslips and this would be rectified by June 2024. June passed and then it become 'it will happen when it happens, stop bugging me about it'. In July again he guaranteed me he could buy me out and that this time the lender had accepted it , so I put an offer on a house for myself, then it turned out he had not been accepted by the lender and I had to pull out of the house and lose £150 in the process . Since May 2024 he has refused to let me sell the house, access the house without his permission (only allowing access for me to collect belongings) and refused any viewings on the house. Now he is telling me November to buy me out. I just cannot trust him anymore and he says if I move back in now and try to sell I will have to pay him back the whole time he's been living there and I haven't had access and additionally he will refused any viewings and will only buy me out for a lower than market value offer that he deems 'fair'. Please help! Would he have the right to claim back money for time I didn't have access? and would a judge possibly let him buy me out at lower than market value if we did go to court?
    Tags: None

You can bring court action under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 to obtain an order requiring the house to be sold. The court can stipulate selling methods, which agents to use etc.

The approach of the court will be to seek to impose an outcome that is fair to all parties.

Final thought: I have the impression that your ex is bullying/intimidating you. I recommend you to consider instructing a solicitor.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X