• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County Court won't process my request for a copy of decree absolute

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • County Court won't process my request for a copy of decree absolute

    I plan to remarry in April and have a notice of marriage appointment booked for early March. I divorced in 2010 and while I have an original copy of my decree nisi , I only seem to have a photocopy of the decree absolute. Although the court seal is on the document, it is a photocopy of the original. My ex has since remarried no problems and has been married for around 5 years. She will not cooperate and give me her copy of the absolute. Now the process is contact the county court and pay the fee. problem is the county court the divorce was finalised no longer exists. I know which court the files moved to however this court refuses to allow me to make a counter appointment, refuses in person visits and has closed their phone line - meaning all calls go through the central family court. I emailed the court (each department has an email address) and get a reply from every department except from family. Every other department says I need to contact family which I did over three weeks ago - still no reply -not even an auto response telling me that they are 'dealing with the enquiry' etc. I call the central family court explaining my situation and they say they can't allow me to book a counter appointment , can't provide a copy of my absolute as I have to ask.. the county court. They provide a phone number for the county court which results in a recorded message telling me to contact the number for the central family court. This is infuriating. I have my notice of marriage appointment soon. Is there anything at all I can do? This is now getting urgent.

    Many thanks in advance for any pointers that you can provide.
    Last edited by syfodyas; 13th February 2024, 21:20:PM.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    Hi Syfodyas

    Welcome to LB

    Write a Formal Letter of Complaint to the Court Manager at the County Court (mark it as such), copy it to central complaints via their website (they always take a bit of time to respond, but you'll hopefully have it sorted before they have to deal with it).

    You can email it to the County Court. Explain what's happened, how it's effected you and what you want them to do about it.


    Update the thread when you get a response.


    • #3
      Thank you very much.


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.