• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Divorce,Wills & Property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce,Wills & Property

Hello everyone,

I hope I can find some help and advice here.

I have a large property that I purchased 30years ago with my now ex-wife, that we setup as a bed and breakfast.

After we divorced we had a contract drawn up in which she relinquished any beneficial interest in the property.

She also named me as the sole beneficiary in her Will.

I have since remarried and have been running and maintaining the property by myself, however I’ve come to a point now that I can no longer afford the mortgage repayments, and want to sell the property.

The challenge I’m facing is that I cannot sell the property without consent of my ex-wife as she is still named on both the mortgage and the title deed to the property.

Also, she has dementia and has given over power of attorney to her children, who are refusing to co-operate and will not agree to selling the house.

I’m now faced with the very real prospect of not being able to sell, not paying the mortgage, and having the house reprocessed and being made homeless.

Oh, and to top it off I’ve just been diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Is there anything I can do to force a sale given that my ex signed a contract stating she want no interest in the property, has named me as the sole beneficiary in her Will (I’m not sure if she’s made a subsequent Will since then), and that she’s never paid a penny towards the property or the mortgage?

Many thanks in advance.
    Roo
    Tags: None

I also wanted to add I asked a solicitor and barrister about this and they were very vague about the outcome. The only thing they seemed to be certain about was that I have £5,000 handy upfront to pay their fees!

Comment

Well, they would be vague until you paid them the £5k fees! They were never going to give you an answer before being paid....

(Sorry, I can't answer your actual question)
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

You may be able to bring a claim under s14 Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 seeking an order permitting the sale of the property.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X