• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Looking for the correct technical/legal terminology

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for the correct technical/legal terminology

    Not sure if this is a Family Law or Motoring question but..
    In the event of a fatal car accident where a claim is brought against a driver convicted of death by dangerous driving and the estate of the deceased is a child, what is the correct name of the process where a pay-out will be made when the child becomes an adult?
    I am thinking that this is a sort of trust fund where money is paid into and held by a court fund until adulthood.
    I have heard this may be called a 'University Fund' within the Car Insurance industry.
    Tags: None

  • #2
    This is quite a complicated subject, but basically compensation awarded to a minor must be authorised and retained in court until that child reaches the age of majority

    If the court can be satisfied that money is to be used for the educational benefit of the child, some may be released early.
    Any released money will be from the dependency award.

    Often the court will direct that any released money must be placed in a trust fund, trustees often being the child's carer.

    The insurance industry might call it a University Fund, but the Fatal Accidents Act 1976 does not include that terminology.

    May I ask if this is about an award being made to your grandchildren?
    If so did you manage to obtain access to them?


    • #3
      Thanks again for your response Des8
      Struggles to watchover Grandchildrens welfare continue.
      Refusal by Father to abide by any Family Court orders and its been difficult to locate them as he keeps moving.
      I obtained probate on their behalf only to find that the spendthrift father had made a separate claim and settled for a small lump sum payout instead of the Trust Fund that we were fighting for on behalf of our Daughter.
      From what I can find out much of his claim as to 'Beneficiaries' was illegal and its now become a police matter.


      • #4
        I think you should be looking for professional legal advice, not just because of the father's actions, but also because of the insurance company not paying a child's benefit into court.


        View our Terms and Conditions

        LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

        If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

        If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.